Master of Bioethics (Leuven)KU Leuven
Master of Bioethics (Leuven)
All available course dates
The main objective of KU Leuven's Advanced Master of Bioethics (MBIO) is to train highly qualified students for research work or professional activities in the domain of bioethics, an interdisciplinary field that studies value questions that arise in health care, public health and biomedical research.
What is the Advanced Master of Bioethics all about?
The Master of Bioethics is a one year advanced master's programme which is coordinated by the Centre for Biomedical Ethics and Law (CBMER) at KU Leuven.
The learning environment is characterized by a small student population, which is composed of an international and interdisciplinary group of individuals who have already finished a master programme. This fosters a continuous exchange of experiences and cultural perspectives. In order to prepare students to adopt a critical and scientific attitude towards ethical questions, education is as much as possible research-driven.
This programme consists of a series of core bioethics courses, a research component, and a series of electives (60 ECTS) including:
- Truncus communis of Core Bioethics Courses (26 ECTS):
- Ethics and Law in Biomedical Research (3 ECTS)
- Public Health Ethics and Ethics in Health Policy (4 ECTS)
- Ethical Issues in End-of-life Care (4 ECTS)
- Foundations of Bioethics (4 ECTS)
- Human Genetics, Ethics and Policy (4 ECTS)
- Law and Health Care (3 ECTS)
- Clinical Bioethics Training (4 ECTS)
- A Research component (22 ECTS): a Seminar Interdisciplinary Research in Bioethics (4 ECTS) and a Master’s thesis Research Project (18 ECTS)
- Elective specialisation courses (12 ECTS): Students can select from a number of courses at KU Leuven, within the fields of Medicine, Theology, Philosophy, Social Sciences, Anthropology and Psychology. These elective courses allow the student to develop a personal trajectory.
Students who enroll in this Master’s programme will have the opportunity to specialise and develop the following core skills:
- Focus on bioethics instead of applied ethics: in order to maximally challenge the disciplinary future self, the programme has a specific focus on bioethics. This focus distinguishes it from broader studies in applied ethics, which are also concerned with topics in the fields of social, environmental, sexual or global ethics.
- Third cycle programme: in order to facilitate intercultural and interdisciplinary exchange of ideas, the programme is specifically directed towards students who have already obtained a master’s (or equivalent) degree.
- Focus on the development of research skills: the programme strongly focuses on the development of academic skills that prepare students for a future academic career in the field of bioethics.
- Attention for continental European perspectives on bioethics: the programme offers a broad range of theoretical and practical perspectives on bioethics, with particular attention for developments in European bioethics. These include the connection between social science and bioethics, ethics and law, care ethics, as well as values and principles that are central to European culture (e.g. respect for life, human dignity, solidarity, vulnerability).
- Thematic focus: due to the programme’s thematic focus, students acquire expertise in dealing with ethical issues that emerge in various healthcare settings, such as end-of-life care, biomedical research and public health.
KU Leuven Online Open Day
We are organising an online open day on Wednesday 1 December 2021 to inform students about our English-language programmes. Discover Europe’s most innovative university and learn more about our international programmes, admissions, housing and much more. For more information, google “KU Leuven Online Open Day”.
Please consult the programme website for recent information on admission requirements.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Please consult our website for recent information on available scholarships.
Please consult our website for recent information on tuition fees.
After graduation, students are prepared to take up a diverse spectrum of professional responsibilities. Specifically, graduates may undertake a PhD training or collaborate in research projects at universities or independent research institutions. Several others have been appointed in healthcare facilities, serving as ethics consultants, hospital chaplains or members of clinical ethics committees or institutional review boards. Some have found positions at pharmaceutical companies, government agencies, regulatory bodies, medical associations or non-governmental organizations. Many graduates have also taken up teaching responsibilities in an institute for higher education.
About this institute
KU Leuven. Inspiring the Outstanding
KU Leuven is Europe’s most innovative university. Located in Belgium, it is dedicated to research, education, and service to society. KU Leuven is a founding member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and has a strong European and...
Why study at KU Leuven
A Highly Ranked University
According to international rankings, KU Leuven is among the best 100 universities in the world. Moreover, KU Leuven was ranked as most innovative university of Europe by Reuters four years in a row (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019). All of KU Leuven’s disciplines proudly belong to the top 100 of their field. Scholars and researchers, teachers and visionaries, thinkers and makers all have their place in KU Leuven’s fertile intellectual habitat.
Most Innovative University in Europe
KU Leuven has been identified as Europe’s most innovative university for four years in a row by Reuters. By developing the most important drug against HIV, a new type of solar panel that converts oxygen into hydrogen and uncovering the secrets of Sagalassos, KU Leuven researchers have a profound impact on our everyday lives in nearly all fields of research. That innovative character is deeply embedded in the way we teach our students, by integrating relevant guest lectures, taking an Interdisciplinary approach and opening the most advanced research and education facilities.
A Comprehensive University
As a comprehensive university, KU Leuven offers a wide range of disciplines organized by 15 faculties. Each of these disciplines is ranked in the top 100 of its field according to the THE World University Rankings by subject. Half of the university’s faculties are even in the top 50 within their fields of study.
Want to know more about Master of Bioethics (Leuven)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...