Bachelor of Philosophy (Leuven)KU Leuven
Bachelor of Philosophy (Leuven)
All available course dates
Bachelor of Philosophy
Ever thought what’s behind the subtle reasoning of Herman Van Rompuy, the former President of the European Council? A bachelor's degree in philosophy from Leuven, in the heart of Europe! An ideal basis for further studies in philosophy at Leuven or further afield, or as a launch pad for an exciting professional career in related fields such as law, economics and medicine.
The Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy (BA) programme will do much more than introduce you to the highly sought-after skills of logic, critical thinking and close reading. Structuring your own quest for truth, a BA in philosophy will help you to orient your thoughts about the world that we are living in, and it will also teach you to use philosophical skills in analysing contemporary scientific and societal debates. Come to Leuven and get to know yourself.
What is the bachelor of philosophy all about?
The aim of the BA programme is to provide a thorough, broad and comprehensive historical and systematic education in philosophy. At the same time, the programme seeks to provide students with the research skills required for successful written and verbal expression in philosophy. You’ll also learn to use philosophical skills in analysing contemporary societal debates.
The Institute of Philosophy offers a comprehensive range of BA, MA, Research Master and PhD degrees, all taught in English. Viewed collectively, our undergraduate and post-graduate degrees aim to familiarise students with the history of philosophy as well as with contemporary movements in analytic and continental philosophy so that they are able to engage with the fundamental areas of philosophical research. The Institute of Philosophy is proud to offer its students a broad philosophical education and a wide range of courses and seminars, as well as personalised study support and guidance.
- Philosophy has been taught at KU Leuven since its founding in 1425 and has remained an important and influential centre of philosophical thought. The Institute of Philosophy is international in every sense of the word:
Members of its teaching staff come from, among others, the USA, Italy, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and Ireland.
- It has its roots in the eminent tradition of European continental philosophy. In recent years, however, it has embraced other philosophical traditions ranging from Anglo-American thought to non-Western philosophy. The Institute is truly committed to philosophical pluralism.
- It attracts visiting scholars and students from all over the world. Some 70 different nationalities are represented.
- It hosts several international conferences every year with widely varying themes and involving a mix of well-established and up-and-coming philosophers from near and far.
- It has Erasmus+ exchange agreements with more than 40 European universities, including universities in Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Paris, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Madrid and Siena. and Istanbul. Bachelor-level students have the opportunity to study at a foreign partner university for one semester, in either the second or the third stage of the 180 ECTS BA programme.
- It has one of the finest philosophical libraries in the world. The library contains more than 90,000 volumes and maintains subscriptions to more than 300 journals.
- In 2019 the Institute of Philosophy was ranked 31st in the world among philosophy programmes (QS World University Rankings).
KU Leuven Online Open Day
We are organising an online open day on Wednesday 1 December 2021 to inform students about our English-language programmes. Discover Europe’s most innovative university and learn more about our international programmes, admissions, housing and much more. For more information, google “KU Leuven Online Open Day”.
Please consult the programme website for recent information on admission requirements.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Please consult our website for recent information on available scholarships.
Please consult our website for recent information on tuition fees.
Graduates in philosophy go on to careers in many different sectors, including business, civil service, politics, education, publishing, media, the socio-cultural sector, journalism, academia ...
Many employers seek candidates who are not only well grounded in a specific field, but are also able to handle the diverse challenges arising in a fast-paced workplace. Graduates in philosophy are well positioned to think clearly and respond effectively to the evolving challenges of contemporary employment.
About this institute
KU Leuven. Inspiring the Outstanding
KU Leuven is Europe’s most innovative university. Located in Belgium, it is dedicated to research, education, and service to society. KU Leuven is a founding member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and has a strong European and...
Why study at KU Leuven
A Highly Ranked University
According to international rankings, KU Leuven is among the best 100 universities in the world. Moreover, KU Leuven was ranked as most innovative university of Europe by Reuters four years in a row (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019). All of KU Leuven’s disciplines proudly belong to the top 100 of their field. Scholars and researchers, teachers and visionaries, thinkers and makers all have their place in KU Leuven’s fertile intellectual habitat.
Most Innovative University in Europe
KU Leuven has been identified as Europe’s most innovative university for four years in a row by Reuters. By developing the most important drug against HIV, a new type of solar panel that converts oxygen into hydrogen and uncovering the secrets of Sagalassos, KU Leuven researchers have a profound impact on our everyday lives in nearly all fields of research. That innovative character is deeply embedded in the way we teach our students, by integrating relevant guest lectures, taking an Interdisciplinary approach and opening the most advanced research and education facilities.
A Comprehensive University
As a comprehensive university, KU Leuven offers a wide range of disciplines organized by 15 faculties. Each of these disciplines is ranked in the top 100 of its field according to the THE World University Rankings by subject. Half of the university’s faculties are even in the top 50 within their fields of study.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Philosophy (Leuven)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America
Knoxville, United States of America