MA in Language and Cultural DiversityKing's College London
About this program
MA in Language and Cultural Diversity
Our Language & Cultural Diversity MA examines the complex relationship between language and cultural diversity, and will equip you with an advanced knowledge of the major approaches to linguistic aspects of culture. Through the course you will develop the research skills and knowledge to support further study in empirical and applied linguistics.
A minimum 2:1 undergraduate Bachelor’s (honours) degree
If you have a lower degree classification or a degree in an unrelated subject, your application may be considered if you can demonstrate significant relevant work experience, or offer a related graduate qualification (such as a Master's or PGDip).
English language requirements
English language band: B
To study at King's, it is essential that you can communicate in English effectively in an academic environment. You are usually required to provide certification of your competence in English before starting your studies.
Nationals of majority English speaking countries (as defined by the UKVI) who have permanently resided in this country are not usually required to complete an additional English language test. This is also the case for applicants who have successfully completed an undergraduate degree (of at least three years duration), a postgraduate taught degree (of at least one year), or a PhD in a majority English speaking country (as defined by the UKVI) within five years of the course start date.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Researching Linguistic Diversity
- Language, Identity & Culture
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available, please visit the college website for more information
- Full time: £10,470 per year (2023/24)
- Part time: £5,238 per year (2023/24); £4,584 per year (fast-track 2023/24)
- Full time: £20,940 per year (2023/24)
- Part time: £10,470 per year (2023/24); £8,760 per year (fast-track 2023/24)
- Strong research environment including a number of research workshops and seminar series.
- Offering a broad range of module choices with three thematic areas, our MA courses are both research and professionally oriented.
- Stimulating and intellectually challenging teaching and learning environment which aims to maximise your critical analysis skills and autonomous learning.
- The Centre for Language, Discourse & Communication, with which you will automatically be affiliated during your time as a student, forms part of the King's Interdisciplinary Social Science Doctoral Training Centre, supported by the Economic and Social Research Council.
- We occupy a prominent position in national and international research networks.
This course examines the complex relationship between language and cultural diversity, and will equip you with:
- An understanding of language use in urban multi-cultural contexts in a globalised world, and of how personal and socio-cultural identities such as gender, age and ethnicity are shaped, both institutionally and at a local level of everyday social interaction.
- An ability to critically analyse and evaluate issues of cultural diversity and intercultural communication.
- Research skills and knowledge relevant to further study in empirical and applied linguistics.
Our graduates use the skills which they develop with us to pursue careers in doctoral research, journalism, publishing, international relations and language-related professions such as teaching, translation and interpreting.
About this institute
King's College London
King's College London is one of the top 35 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2022) and among the oldest in England (founded 1829). The university has more than 29,600 students, with just under 11,000 being international students from...
King's College London
Be the first to write a review!