Doctor of Philosophy in Petroleum Geoscience
The Department of Earth Sciences is an internationally recognized center of excellence in education and research in petroleum geology and geophysics. The diverse expertise of the faculty in the department supports a variety of research opportunities that include studies of earth surface and deep processes, geological hazards, environmental geoscience, and Quaternary geology, sedimentology/facies analysis, micropaleontology, bioand chemo- stratigraphy, seismology, petrology, tectonics, geophysics, and geochemistry.
- Completion of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum CGPA of 3.25 out of 4.0, or equivalent from a reputable accredited institution
- A minimum level of English proficiency in the form of: iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or equivalent, or overall academic IELTS score of 6.5, or 1550 EmSAT English score
- A minimum quantitative score of 150 in the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- A minimum of two referee recommendations (provided via online form)
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words)
- Research statement (500-1,000 words)
- Admission interview.
Students of the PhD in Petroleum Geosciences are required to complete 60 credit hours, consisting of 24 credit hours of coursework and 36 credit hours of research. Written and oral qualifying exams have to be passed before students can start research that leads to a PhD Dissertation. While the content of required courses focuses on the needs of the local petroleum industry, elective courses and Dissertation research can be in other areas of the Earth Sciences.
Local students have the option to complete the program as part-time, stretched over 6 years.
The program costs are waived for both local and international students.
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships offered, please check here.
Khalifa University of Science and Technology
Khalifa University of Science and Technology (KU) combines three of the United Arab Emirates’ leading universities - the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and The Petroleum Institute (PI) -...
Want to know more about Doctor of Philosophy in Petroleum Geoscience? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.