About this program
Translation Studies - Ph.D.
The Ph.D. degree in Translation Studies is a research-based program that provides advanced training in translation studies. The program focuses on translation research skills, specialized translation, computer-assisted terminology and translation, software localization and project management for the language industry. The program is designed to provide a comprehensive foundation for the development of key skills in humanistic translation and translation studies.
- Master's degree in translation, a foreign language or in any other relevant discipline with prior experience or training in translation for unconditional admission
- Minimum senior-year 3.000 undergraduate GPA and/or minimum 3.500 graduate GPA for unconditional admission
- Essay or writing sample (7-10 pages) from a research paper on any aspect of translation (or a prospectus for a translation studies project)
English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 610 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 102 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 86 MELAB score
- Minimum 7.5 IELTS score
- Minimum 73 PTE score
- Minimum 110 Duolingo English Test score
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Documents in Multilingual Contexts
- Theory of Translation and Interpreting
- Terminology and Computer Applications in Translation
- Software Localization
- Language Project Management
- Applied Linguistics and Translation Informatics
- The Language Industry
- Terminology Studies
- Translation Pedagogy
- Current Trends in Translation Studies
- Empirical Methods for Translation Studies
- Corpora in Translation
- Translation and Cognition
- Research in Translation Studies or Dissertation I
Seminar Electives, choose from the following:
- Seminar in Translation Studies
- Seminar in Translation Informatics
For more information about tuition fees for this program, please contact the school.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate broad knowledge across several areas in the field of translation studies, as well as in-depth knowledge in an area of expertise.
- Demonstrate the ability to design and conduct original research.
- Critically assess translation studies literature, as well as their own empirical and theoretical findings.
- Communicate research findings effectively in written and spoken form.
- Follow ethical guidelines for work in the field.
Message the school
About this institute
Kent State University
At Kent State University, people hail from every corner of the globe to do work that paves the way for a brighter tomorrow. Here, you’ll find world-class faculty serving as researchers and mentors, alumni leaders in business, healthcare, education, and...
Want to know more about Translation Studies - Ph.D.? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Doctorate / PhD
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Doctorate / PhD