About this program
Fashion Industry Studies - M.F.I.S.
The Master of Fashion Industry Studies degree in Fashion Industry Studies robustly addresses the highly interdisciplinary character of practice within fashion as a product-driven industry with a unique set of parameters that transverse many traditional academic boundaries.
Fashion Industry Studies is an initial master's level degree for the academic advancement of students to engage in learning and experiences applicable to the fashion industry. The degree program prepares professionals who intentionally use cross-disciplinary and applied research methods to address complex issues derived from the industry setting and provide impactful research-based solutions for the fashion industry.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university1 for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.300 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- GRE or GMAT scores if GPA is below 3.300 for conditional admissions
- Goal statement (maximum 1000 words) relating career/academic goals and research interests as they relate to critical issue(s) the applicant has identified in current fashion industry practice
- Supportive materials that demonstrate research and writing capabilities (e.g., significant term paper, research project report, and/or visual portfolio with minimum 5-10 examples of work in any media documenting design process)
English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 587 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 94 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 82 MELAB score
- Minimum 7.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 65 PTE score
- Minimum 120 Duolingo test score
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The Fashion Industry: a Unifying Lens
- Forms of Inquiry in the Fashion Industry
- Fashion Industry Practicum
- Advanced Fashion Industry Practice
- Thesis I
Fashion Electives, choose from the following:
- Historic Textiles
- Theories as Applied to the Fashion Industry
- Fashion Industry Design Management
- Techstylelab: Digital Design and New Media in the Fashion Industry
- Workshops on Current Topics in the Fashion Industry
- Research Project in Fashion Industry
- Advanced Fashion Industry Design and Production
- Visual Presentation in the Fashion Industry
- Sustainable Concepts and Practices in the Fashion Industry
- Fashion Industry Merchandise Management
- Entrepreneurial Leadership and Sustainability in the Fashion Industry
- Supply Chain Management in the Fashion Industry
- Fashion Industry Special Topics
- Individual Investigation in the Fashion Industry
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university's website for more information.
- Tuition fees for Ohio residents: $5,883 USD per year
- Tuition fees for residents of other states and international students: $10,977 USD per year
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate a capacity for critical analysis of the fashion industry supply chain from fiber to the consumer to identify pertinent issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize cross-disciplinary and applied research methods with appropriate knowledge and technologies.
- Demonstrate the critical generation of pragmatic solutions based on testing and experimentation that connect research findings to fashion industry issues.
- Demonstrate abilities to effectively synthesize and present innovative and pragmatic research-based solutions applicable to the fashion industry.
Message the school
About this institute
Kent State University
At Kent State University, people hail from every corner of the globe to do work that paves the way for a brighter tomorrow. Here, you’ll find world-class faculty serving as researchers and mentors, alumni leaders in business, healthcare, education, and...
Want to know more about Fashion Industry Studies - M.F.I.S.? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!