Computer Science - M.S.Kent State University
Computer Science - M.S.
All available course dates
About this program
Computer Science - M.S.
The Master of Science degree in Computer Science provides students with an educational and research environment to develop career paths through necessary training with emerging technologies. Graduates have the technical knowledge and skills necessary for success within the information and high technology industries.
The M.S. degree in Computer Science has two culminating options: thesis or non-thesis. Students planning to pursue a Ph.D. degree an/or academic research should select the thesis option. Students planning to pursue applied research and development in industry may select the non-thesis option. The thesis option requires original research and a written thesis. The non-thesis option requires a capstone project and an optional industrial internship.
The Computer Science major includes the following optional concentrations:
- The Computational Data Science concentration prepares students to process big data. In a spectrum of real-world applications, the collected data (from such sources as mobile devices, GPS, sensor/RFID networks, Internet, social media, etc.) is so large and complex, the traditional data processing tools cannot efficiently and effectively handle it. This concentration focuses on algorithms development, machine learning, computation techniques, network and computing infrastructure and software.
- The Computer Engineering concentration prepares students to meet the need of computer engineering professionals in the industry for designing and managing emerging smart devices and computer-integrated physical systems with programmable intelligence. Students learn the hardware-software co-design principles and theory, architecture of the associated software and hardware, devices and sensors communication protocols and the interfaces to effectively design, build and evolve such smart devices and computer-driven intelligent physical systems.
- The Computer Security concentration exposes students to a wide range of topics on the security of computer systems. Students study the vulnerabilities in software and networks and develop algorithms and software to protect data, using digital encryption coding, protected databases and protected computer networking techniques.
Students opting to not pursue a concentration will create a 12-credit hour individualized plan of study with their advisor.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Core components of an undergraduate computer science curriculum1 Official transcript(s)
- GRE scores
- Goal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 525 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 71 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 74 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 50 PTE score
- Minimum 100 Duolingo English Test score
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Master's Seminar
- Human Computer Interaction
- Advanced Database Systems Design
- Computational Health Informatics
- Software Engineering Methodologies
- Software Evolution
- Image Processing
- Multimedia Systems And Biometrics
- Advanced Computer Graphics
- Scientific Visualization
- Information Visualization
Theory and Algorithms Category
- Parallel and Distributed Computing
- Advanced Artificial Intelligence
- Pattern Recognition Principles
- Advanced Topics In Algorithms
- Parallel and Distributed Algorithms
- Computational Geometry
Culminating Requirement, choose from the following:
- Capstone Project (Taken Twice)
- Capstone Project and Graduate Internship
Additional Requirements or Concentrations
- Additional Requirements for Students Not Declaring a Concentration
- Computational Data Science Concentration
- Computer Engineering Concentration
- Computer Security Concentration
Additional Requirements for Students Not Declaring a Concentration
- Computer Science (CS) Electives
Computational Data Science Concentration Requirements
- Computer Science III - Programming Patterns
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Advanced Database Systems Design
- Data Mining Techniques
- Big Data Analytics
- Big Data Management
- Probabilistic Data Management
Computer Engineering Concentration Requirements
- Software Development for Robotics
- Algorithmic Robotics
- Internet of Things
- Advanced Digital Design
- Human-robot Interaction
- Advanced Operating Systems
- Cluster Computing
- Multicore Computing
- Embedded Computing
- Advanced Computer Architecture
- Advanced Communication Networks
- Wireless And Mobile Communication Networks
- System Modeling And Performance Evaluation
Computer Security Concentration Requirements
- Systems Administration
- Systems Programming
- Computer Network Security
- Information Security
- Data Security and Privacy
- Digital Forensics
- Introduction to Cryptology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university's website for more information.
- Tuition fees for Ohio residents: $5,883 USD per year
- Tuition fees for residents of other states and international students: $10,977 USD per year
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate breadth-of-knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relating to advanced topics in computer science.
- Conduct literature searches, comprehend advanced research materials and uncover connections between related work and critical evaluation and synthesis.
- Perform research, discovery and integration by applying advanced knowledge of computer science.
Message the school
About this institute
Kent State University
At Kent State University, people hail from every corner of the globe to do work that paves the way for a brighter tomorrow. Here, you’ll find world-class faculty serving as researchers and mentors, alumni leaders in business, healthcare, education, and...
Want to know more about Computer Science - M.S.? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!