PhD in ChemistryKaunas University of Technology
About this program
PhD in Chemistry
Possibilities to attain European PhD (Doctor Europeus) in partnership with PCAM (Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials Network).
Objective of doctoral study programme in chemistry is training doctors of science, who are ready for research career, able to work as scientists and educators. The programme aims to expand their knowledge in chemistry and related fields, at the same time developing their skills of critical thinking, creativity, training their ability to seek original and independent solutions.
The study program lasts 4 years and is completed by a public defense of doctoral dissertation. The program of study is adapted to the needs of individual students, depending on their prior training and research interests. Study and research opportunities for doctoral students are comprehensive and interdisciplinary, covering inorganic, organic, inorganic, physical, analytical, computational, and theoretical chemistry, food chemistry, materials chemistry, atmospheric and environmental chemistry. Research is typically started during the first year of study. However, during the first two years of studies, PhD students also have to take doctoral modules in broad areas or special topics (30 ECTS in total). Subsequent years focus on thesis research only and writing the dissertation. Original research, performed under the direction of a supervisor and consultants, plays a major role in this degree. The ground of the final dissertation has to be based on at least 2 published original scientific publications (one of them may be accepted only for publication) in high rank international chemistry or material science journals, where the PhD student must be the first author of the article, and the corresponding presentations in international scientific conferences.
Persons with a Master’s Degree or equivalent degree of higher education may participate in an open competition for admission to doctoral studies.
Applicants to the doctoral field of science are accepted by competition according to the competition score. Minimum Competition Score 7.5.
1. A sum of ECTS credits of the subjects in the fields of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering completed during I and II cycle University studies ≥ 30
2. One of the submitted recommendations has to be written by the supervisor of the topic.
Mandatory documents for admission:
- Filled in application form (online);
- Official legalised Bachelor’s and Master’s diploma or a higher education degree equivalents and academic transcripts (translated into English or Lithuanian and notary verified) and the certificate of recognition if higher education qualification acquired abroad (see academic recognition);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Recommendations by two researchers of the relevant science field (one of the recommendations must be written by the supervisor of the research topic that the candidate is applying to);
- A list of the research works (this list is submitted with full bibliographic description) along with copies of the research works (or a research paper on the topic (-s) consistent with the dissertation topic (-s) indicated in the candidate’s application, if a candidate does not have any research works);
- A copy of the passport personal data page, or a copy of the ID card;
- A copy of the receipt of the application fee payment (40 EUR for EU citizens, and 100 EUR for non-EU citizens);
- A certificate issued by IELTS, TOEFL, CERF or any other competent institution within the last 2 years certifying the level of the English language if the candidate is not a graduate of the first or second cycle studies conducted in the English language;
Does this course require proof of English proficiency
One of the mandatory admission documents is a certificate issued by IELTS, TOEFL, CERF or any other competent institution within the last 2 years certifying the level of the English language if the candidate is not a graduate of the first or second cycle studies conducted in the English language
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Methods of Modern Spectral Analysis
- Academic and Technical Research Writing
- Design Thinking in Research
- Digital Support and Tools for Research Writing and Publication
- Research Data Management
- Research Ethics
- Research Project Grant Management
- Science Communication for the Public
- Systematic Literature Review
Scholarships & funding
Students admitted to state-funded places of doctoral studies receive a monthy scholarship. PhD students may receive additional funding for their scientific activies, excellent results of studies and scientific research or for participation in the international scientific conferences, seminars, and science competitions.
This program is delivered in both English and Lithuanian.
Students admitted to state-funded positions are exempted of tuition fee.
Self-funded doctoral students pay the tuition fee which may differ according the field of science.
Doctor of Science
Message the school
About this institute
Kaunas University of Technology
Established in 1922, Kaunas University of Technology (KTU) provides studies and research in all areas answering the demands of today’s ever-changing world. Ranked the 1st in Lithuania by alumni employability and student satisfaction, KTU is among the top 500 world...
Why study at Kaunas University of Technology
KTU, the main provider of research services for business and industry, one of the most active science institutions in Lithuania boasts impressive research facilities. In addition to state-of-the-art laboratories designed for studies, such as FabLab, Bloomberg Financial Markets Lab, Auto Diagnostics Lab and others, the laboratories of Santaka Valley and the Faculties equipped with the newest technology are open to student research and studies.
Kaunas University of Technology
Want to know more about PhD in Chemistry? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!