Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
The program focuses on modern aspects of chemistry and biochemistry of nucleic acids and nucleic acids’ binding proteins. Special emphasis is made on gene engineering of functional oligonucleotides, research of DNA-based molecular logic gates that can be used in the first DNA-based computer processor and developing new hybridization probes for real-time analysis of specific DNA and RNA sequences.
The program uniquely combines state-of-the-art computational and practical aspects of material sciences, nanotechnology, molecular biology and biochemistry. It effectively bridges material sciences and information technologies, both being key research areas of ITMO University.
Benefits of the Program
- The program is delivered at the International SCAMT Laboratory (Solution Chemistry of Advanced Materials and Technologies), the leading ITMO lab specializing in hybrid materials creation by soft solution chemical methods in nanomaterial science and development of biomedical, optical materials and advanced industrial materials.
- The teachers are all young professors with relevant work experience gained in such prominent universities as Harvard, Eindhoven, University of Central Florida, University of Leipzig, Hebrew University and others.
- The students have an excellent opportunity for research and educational internship at leading world universities:
- University of Liege
- University of Aveiro
- Leipzig University
- Trinity college (University of Dublin)
- TU Ilmenau
- University of Waterloo
- KU Leuven
- Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces
- University of Central Florida
- Nice bonus! The most successful candidates will be nominated for ITMO Biochemistry Cluster Scholarship.
- Covers such important practical issues as highly selective molecular diagnostics technologies of human genetic and infectious diseases based on engineering of functional nanodevices.
- Focuses on a multidisciplinary approach to nanomaterial engineering and gene engineering for sustainability. The program involves a wide range of courses delivered by leading scientists affiliated with the research center on such subjects as molecular biology; biotechnology; genetic engineering, biochemistry; nanotechnology; inorganic chemistry & materials science; sol-gel chemistry, etc.
- Offers an individual approach to unleash the potential and talents of the students
- Provides access to modern research facilities of the center such as: equipment for advanced materials synthesis, bioengineering equipment, electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, as well as infrastructure for computational analysis.
- Creates an opportunity for students to carry out research on hot topics related to key societal problems of today in collaboration with ambitious research teams affiliated with the research center.
About this institute
ITMO University Saint Petersburg
ITMO University in St. Petersburg is a recognized leader in optics, photonics and IT. Over the past few years, it has developed from a specialized technical institute into a trailblazer shaping the national education and research policy in Russia. We...
Want to know more about Molecular Biology and Biotechnology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.