Master in Service DesignIED - Istituto Europeo di Design
Master in Service Design
All available course dates
The Master in Service Design allows future service designers to learn about different conceptual perspectives when designing a service. It is an opportunity for students to gain theoretical insight and to practice using specific methods and tools for each approach. Students are tasked with team projects and challenged with the entire process of creating a new service or transforming an existing one – from research and conception to prototyping and preparing pilot interventions.
The concept of Service Design refers to innovation in services from a human and systemic perspective by leveraging creativity and iterative processes. So, what exactly does a service designer do? These are some of their possible functions, depending on their professional background and the context they work in:
- Orchestrating the various stages of a service to ensure a pleasant, seamless experience.
- Detecting opportunities for new services and conceptualising systems that allow to co-create added value with users or even among multiple organisations.
- Enabling various players to take an active part in defining new practices and narratives about value, both inside and outside organisations.
- Professionals and graduates in product design, digital design, graphic design and interior design wishing to specialise in services.
- User experience experts looking to play a more strategic role.
- Professionals who work in marketing, communication, sociology, anthropology and market research and are interested in pursuing a career in service innovation and customer experience.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The learning experience on this course consists in:
- Undertaking the practical and experimental development of real projects for companies selected by IED Masters.
- Understanding the theoretical framework and fundamentals of service design as a basis for decision‑making.
- Hearing about first‑hand experiences shared by teachers and guest speakers.
- The course tackles service design from three different perspectives in three team projects. Each project in the course goes through every stage in the design process.
- To grasp the various conceptual perspectives of service design and be able to choose which one is most suitable for each design intervention.
- To test specific approaches, methods and tools while developing projects related to creating new services, evaluating and transforming existing services or implementing operational changes at the supplier level.
- To encourage an experimental attitude, efficient self-management and the ability to work on multi- and inter-disciplinary teams, as well as collaborating with users and other stakeholders.
- To foster sensitivity and a critical mind regarding the latest breakthroughs in service design and other social-technical developments affecting the service economy.
- Service designer
- Strategic designer
- UX researcher
- Design researcher
- UX strategist
- Design thinker or design thinking consultant
- Customer experience designer
About this institute
IED is the biggest international network of fashion, design, visual communication and management schools, with locations in Milan, Rome, Turin, Venice, Florence, Cagliari, Madrid , Barcelona , São Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro. Established in 1966, IED has 45 years...
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Palatine, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America
Fresno, United States of America