Studies of Environment and Sustainability
This Master aims to provide skills to enable students to understand and promote the ongoing process of social change that aims to make the relationship between society and more sustainable environment. The development of sustainable ways to use resources, produce energy, manage the territory, safeguard biodiversity, involve communities in decisions, and mitigate climate change has become in recent years a strong social imperative. Today this social imperative is not only translated into numerous environmental laws and shapes public policies already in place and implement, as it begins to be taken by individuals, communities, businesses and institutions. Therefore is necessary to train people who will have a solid knowledge and comprehensive models of analysis and intervention of the social sciences useful for these areas, developing their critical thinking and empowerment so that they can contribute to the implementation of a development that meets the environmental and social balance.
- Present an understanding of social sciences theories useful to understand the environment-society relations, including the relationship between analysis and policy interventions.
- Critically analyze the knowledge acquired, demonstrate autonomy and contribute to the emergence of fresh perspectives on those relations.
- Analyze existing social practices with environmental impact and propose solutions to improve them, trough judgments based on the theories learned.
- Develop action plans on environmental issues in various sectors - agriculture, water, energy, waste, biodiversity, planning, community consultation, etc.. - through a multilevel and multidisciplinary approach.
- Communicate clearly their findings and arguments, both to experts and no experts.
About this institute
ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
Founded in 1972, the University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL) is one of the most prestigious public universities in Portugal, particularly focused on postgraduate studies and scientific research. It is organized in four schools: ISCTE Business School, School of Sociology and...
Want to know more about Master's degree in Studies of Environment and Sustainability? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.