Doctorate in EconomicsISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
The Ph.D. is a four-year program consisting of one and a half year of coursework followed by two and a half years of research. In the first year of the program, the focus is on providing the foundations for successful research. In the first semester of the second year students choose three additional courses in field subjects (or extra courses in the core subjects), which should be closely related to their research interests. In the second semester of the second year and in the third and fourth years, students are expected to develop their research projects and write a dissertation under the supervision of a faculty member.
- Provide advanced training in Economics, with a solid theoretical and methodological preparation, pursuing high standards of scientific and ethical exigency.
- Provide students thorough analysis skills, which may enable them to achieve a high academic performance, thus broadening the knowledge within the scientific area.
- Develop a critical standpoint towards the production and use of scientific knowledge.
- Prepare for a future performance in advanced Economics research positions, namely at universities, research centres, central banks, national and international organisations, among others.
- Attain communication skills directed at peer presentation of advanced scientific research works, enhancing its dissemination in international conferences.
- Consolidate autonomous and original research skills.
- Promote the dissemination and publication of scientific knowledge among the civil society, public institutions and business environment.
In the PhD in Economics students are intended to acquire advanced knowledge on the main areas within Economics, so as to be able to analyse critically the new research developments in the field, produce new scientific knowledge, present it among peers and disseminate it in society.
By the end of their degree, students are expected to:
- LO1 – Master their field of studies and its specific set of methods;
- LO2 – Be able to conceive and execute research and/or diagnostic plans which may represent an original contribute for the progress of scientific knowledge in Economics;
- LO3 – Have creative and critical sense as regards research in the specific study area, being able to identify limitations and present solutions to overcome them;
- LO4 – Know how to communicate their contribution to society and among peers, and publish their research results in scientific journals within their expert area.
In the scope of the research project, students shall be able to produce critical essays on a number of articles on topics related and belonging to a sub-branch of Economics and, from those readings and research, be able to propose a novel and coherent research topic within that sub-branch (LO1; LO2; LO3).
Critical thinking, ability to assess, test and demonstrate are strongly encouraged in the teaching/learning and knowledge evaluation methods adopted in the elective curricular units (LO1; LO3).
The evaluation of the dissertation project by an evaluation panel in the scope of the curricular unit Research Project in Economics enhances the development of communication and synthesis skills (LO2; LO3; LO4).Throughout the doctoral programme, during the thesis development stage, students shall be able to autonomously apply previously acquired knowledge to new topics and contexts and disseminate this knowledge through the publication of working papers, their presentation and subsequent publication in scientific journals within the area of expertise (LO4).
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
We seek to admit a small number of students each year with the following profile:
- Strong intellectual development, as demonstrated by high academic marks and test scores
- Emotional maturity to complete a rigorous program of study.
- Commitment to research in Economics.
Application materials (all applications must be submitted online; applications submitted on paper will not be considered)
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Undergraduate/Bachelor certificate (with final grade)
- Master course certificate (with final grade)
- (Optional) TOEFL or IELTS score (*)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Motivation Letter (between 200-300 words)
(*) TOEFL/IELTS scores, if presented, will benefit the application.
- As part of the application review process, the Program Director may request an interview with the candidate.
- The application for Doctoral Programs requires the payment of non-refundable-fee according to each round.
Scholarships & funding
For more information visit University Website
About this institute
ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
Founded in 1972, the University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL) is one of the most prestigious public universities in Portugal, particularly focused on postgraduate studies and scientific research. It is organized in four schools: ISCTE Business School, School of Sociology and...
Want to know more about Doctorate in Economics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Doctorate / PhD
Liberec, Czech Republic
Doctorate / PhD
Doctorate / PhD
Doctorate / PhD