Doctorate in Architecture of Contemporary Metropolitan TerritoriesISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
Architecture of Contemporary Metropolitan Territories
The PhD Program in Architecture of Contemporary Metropolitan Territories elects the contemporary territory as central theme for debate, emphasizing in this way the establishment of research branches in a large network.
The scale of metropolitan debate exceeds the national reality, implying a research level that positions this doctoral program in an international sphere. In that sense, the PhD candidates may benefit from international partnerships established by ISCTE-IUL, namely with the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism of the University of Sao Paulo (Brazil).
For more details visit University website
The course provides the construction of a multidisciplinary frame, based on the exchange of ideas among persons coming from multiple areas about topics and metropolitan phenomena present in contemporary culture. This base allows the incorporation of a wide range of research possibilities to be achieved by the PhD candidates, which can encompass both the perceptions of the changes in thinking and the current territory, as deepening in historiographical subjects.
Study cycle's generic objectives
- To promote innovative research methodologies and strategies in the field of Contemporary Metropolitan Territories;
- To contribute towards research production development in the transdisciplinary field of the contemporary city, mostly centered on the phenomena of metropolitanism;
- To participate in the advanced professional qualification of architects, landscape architects, artists and other actors in territory development in general, and, more specifically, in metropolitanism;
- To intervene in territorial qualification projects connected to contemporary city fundamental concepts and the mutations in its’ landscape;
- To develop associations with national and international fellow institutions.
The Phd Thesis can be developed in the field of a strictly theoretical research work, but also through a compilation of articles, or the development of research under the provisions of D.L. 230/2009 of September 14th based on the development of architectural, or artistic, based projects.
ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
Founded in 1972, the University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL) is one of the most prestigious public universities in Portugal, particularly focused on postgraduate studies and scientific research. It is organized in four schools: ISCTE Business School, School of Sociology and...
Want to know more about Doctorate in Architecture of Contemporary Metropolitan Territories? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.