Disabily Studies and Human Rights (in Portuguese Only)ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
About this program
Disability Studies and Human Rights (in Portuguese Only)
People with disabilities are among the social groups that are most vulnerable and excluded in all human societies, even in the most developed. Recent research continues to relate unemployment, poverty and very low social, cultural and political participation with disability. Prejudice, discrimination, paternalism and stigma are still widespread features in all communities, penalising the enforcement of human and citizenship rights by disabled persons. The most recent progress in the field of disability has been achieved through an approach based on human rights, not Only in terms of the design of public policies, programs, projects and social responses, but also concerning their implementation and management.
The Post Graduation in Disability Studies and Human Rights aims to ensure the preparation and capacity-building of the sector’s technical professionals, graduates who wish to work in this area, senior and management staff of public bodies, local government and social solidarity institutions, for the transition to a model centred on fostering the participation and human rights of disabled persons.
This course is the first post graduation in Portugal accessible to persons with impaired hearing and other disabilities, giving a clear sign of its inclusive perspective. To enhance innovation in digital education, the course will be taught in a b-learning format, which will certainly make it even more accessible.
Iscte is thus committed to developing a high level training offer directed at endowing the students with knowledge, skills and aptitudes that will enable them to make a difference in this area of intervention.
Iscte is also currently preparing a master course in the same context, hence, should they wish to further their education level, the students taking this postgraduate course can transfer credits obtained in the curricular component.
This postgraduate course is primarily directed at:
- Graduate students in the social areas and/or interested in the topic;
- Professionals who currently or intend to work in public organisations (central, supra-municipal and local/municipal administration, education and health), and want to acquire and expand their skills in the area of disability and human rights;
- Professionals who currently or intend to work in social solidarity organisations, and want to acquire new qualifications in the course area and reflect on their own experiences;
- Persons with disabilities or their representatives and relatives possessing the admission requirements;
- Senior and management staff of institutions that work with disabled persons.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and National and International Public Policies for the Inclusion of People with Disabilities
- Disability and Society: Visions, Models and Approaches
- Design, Management and Evaluation of Public Policy
- Contemporary Social Inequalities
- General Policies and Sectoral Policies for the Inclusion of People with Disabilities I: Education, Training and Employment Policies.
- Research Design
- Foundations of Social Policy
- Non-Governmental Organizations and Organizations Representatives of Persons with Disabilities: Quality of Responses and Participation
- General Policies and Sectoral Policies for the Inclusion of People with Disabilities II: Family Policy, Health, Housing and Independent Living
- General Policies and Sectoral Policies for the Inclusion of People with Disabilities III
Tuition fee: €2,000
Credits: 30 ECTS
- Proficiency in project methodologies (preparation of diagnoses, construction of projects and processes of monitoring and evaluation of projects and public policies);
- Proficiency in principles concerning leadership, participation and reflection in various contexts of building a society for all;
- Proficient use of tools enabling the design and implementation of policy measures, social responses and actions following the paradigm of human rights in disability.
- Work in public organisations (central, supra-municipal and local/municipal administration, education and health);
- Work in social solidarity organisations.
Message the school
About this institute
ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
Founded in 1972, the University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL) is one of the most prestigious public universities in Portugal, particularly focused on postgraduate studies and scientific research. It is organized in four schools: ISCTE Business Institute, Institute of Sociology and...
Want to know more about Disabily Studies and Human Rights (in Portuguese Only)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!