BA in English Language and Literature (ELIT)International University of Sarajevo
BA in English Language and Literature (ELIT)
All available course dates
BA in English Language and Literature (ELIT)
This program is intended to provide a solid background in the theory, principles and practices of teaching English as a second or foreign language. Students learn to apply methodology and research in practice in innovative and creative ways, learn to adapt to specific educational contexts, and teach students of all age groups and levels, to qualify to design a teaching program and your own teaching materials. Students continuously improve language and research skills through courses in language and literature, getting ready to pursue a career as a translator, writer, lecturer, editor, journalist, interpreter, legal associate, project manager, public relations officer and similar.
Who is it aimed for?
Young people who got the afinity toward literature etc.
To apply, please visit the institute website. The following documents are required:
- Passport copy (with validity period of at least two years)
- A clean criminal record
- High school diploma
- High school full transcript last 4 year HS education(A-level and A-level transcripts)
- Motivation letter
- IELTS or TOFEL English language certificat B2 level with 6.00 overall score (Applicants may have the choice of either taking TOEFL/IELTS certificates or sitting for the IUS English Placement and Proficiency Tests)
- A photo
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Academic English & Effective Communication
- Introduction to Literature
- Critical Reading and Writing
- Introduction to Pedagogy
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Survey of English Literature I
- Language Acquisition
- Academic Writing
- Survey of English Literature II
- Introduction to English Language Teaching Methodology
- Literary Theory and Criticism I
- Work Placement / Internship
- Literary Theory and Criticism II
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Tuition fees for EU students: 4000 EUR
- Tuition fees for Non-EU students: 4000 EUR
- To enhance the level of students’ English competency and improve their language skills;
- To ensure that students use their language skills properly and effectively;
- To expose students to a wide range and variety of approaches to literary study, which may include creative practice, performance, and extensive specialisation in critical, educational or linguistic theory;
- To demonstrate how literature and language produce and reflect cultural change and difference;
- To help students recognize the multi-faceted nature of English Language and Literature, and its complex relationship with other disciplines and forms of knowledge;
- To provide a groundwork for interdisciplinary study;
- To promote supportive atmosphere for practical activities of scholarship in English Literature and Language;
- To prepare students for professional life after their graduation.
- To detect relations between the nature of language, the concept of meaning and socio-cultural variables;
- To understand the significant number of texts from various periods of English literature, based on the principles of literary criticism;
- To identify different approaches to the analysis of spoken and written text, sentence analysis, discourse analysis, vocabulary analysis, analysis of spoken interaction, the interpretation of literary practice, the study of (non)standard languages and the standardization process;
- To describe the fundamental values and principles of teaching through personal educational stance that relies on the fundamental knowledge and understanding of the domain of educational studies;
- To demonstrate understanding of generic conventions and discourse variables that determine factors such as authorship, creating text, target audience and critical reading;
- To interpret literary and non-literary texts, relying on the concepts and theories that are prevalent in the English language;
- To communicate fluently and correctly in English at C1 level;
- To transmit knowledge on various topics orally and in writing;
- To develop criteria for determining and reviewing their own principles of professional ethics;
- To analyze different concepts with an interdisciplinary approach to knowledge;
- To demonstrate a strong work ethic and interpersonal skills;
- To demonstrate the skills needed to acquire further knowledge in formal and informal contexts;
- To gather data from various sources in order to explore the deeper understanding of the sphere of interest.
English Language and Literature program graduates will have a wide range of career opportunities. Attractive job opportunities for ELIT graduates include the following: English language instructor, media editorial assistant, journalist, English teacher, English translator, editor, legal assistant, technical writer, project manager, and public relations officer.
About this institute
International University of Sarajevo
Established in Sarajevo the beautiful capital of Bosnia-Herzegovina in 2004, IUS has become a leading higher education institution, both locally and internationally. IUS takes great pride in having climbed steadily to the top private university position in Bosnia-Herzegovina over the...
Want to know more about BA in English Language and Literature (ELIT)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...