Foundation Musical Theatre
What is the Foundation Program designed to do?
- Strengthen your skills in a range of different techniques
- Enhance your performance ability with truth and connection
- Develop versatile confident performers with professional insight
- Extend your academic study skills
- Give one to one feedback through small group work
What kind of experiences does the Program provide?
- A holistic learning experience through intensive practical classes/workshops/rehearsals taught by staff teaching at Honours and Masters level
- Active engagement with your learning through regular practice
- A triple threat focus
- Developmental teaching in a supportive yet challenging environment
- An academic underpinning to the technique training
- Regular and effective tutorial guidance to enable continued development and decision-making about the next step of your career
Successful audition, IELTs 5.5 or equivalent, and have studied at least one year of the national university entry academic qualification or equivalent of your country.
Who is the Program for?
Talented, passionate, determined, creative individuals wanting an immersive training to develop their stamina and technique levels ready for higher-level training or work.
Normally you will be 18 within the first term.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
What techniques will I study?
- Singing techniques
- Jazz, Tap and Commercial techniques
- Acting techniques including approaches to acting, text analysis and acting through song
- Preparing for Auditions and making Applications
- Performance technique ending with a final Showcase
Scholarships & funding
The IAB offers a limited number of Talent Scholarships each year. These are available for BA (Hons) program and awarded to new students who demonstrate outstanding talent at audition. You cannot therefore apply for a Talent Scholarship, instead students will be assessed at the audition to determine if they are eligible. They are open throughout the academic year. A Talent Scholarship constitutes a reduction in fees, rather than a full fee waiver.
For more information about scholarship, please visit the institute website.
- EU/EEA/UK fee: €8500
- International fee: €12500
A Transcript of Study supports the IAB Award Certificate issued
On completion of a program the student will be expected to:
- Exhibit the physical processes involved in working safely, sustainably and
- creatively, employing at all times the appropriate class/studio/rehearsal practice protocols and etiquette.
- Undertake the preparation for and realise the execution of audition and performance materials applying skills to effectively communicate with the related audience.
- Self-manage to meet deadlines and self evaluate to identify strengths and areas requiring development in a range of different contexts.
- Retrieve and organise information from independent research activity demonstrating the skills of explanation, argument, reason, reflection and analysis.
- Understand and use the team working skills of negotiation, exploration, pursuit, revision and achievement to deadline.
The Foundation program in Musical Theatre is an approved academic entry qualification to the BA (Hons) Musical Theatre program at the IAB.
IAB's 1-year Foundation programmes are a UK recognised Level 3 qualification, an ideal academic entry qualification for our BA (Hons) programmes in Dance, Commercial Dance and Musical Theatre.
About this institute
Institute of the Arts Barcelona
The Institute of the Arts Barcelona (IAB) is a leading Performing Arts conservatoire offering foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate program in Acting, Dance, Musical Theatre and Contemporary Music Production. The Institute is based in Sitges, approximately 30 minutes from Barcelona. Our...
Why study at Institute of the Arts Barcelona
Benefits of studying at the IAB:
- International community – we are truly international, with students from over 40 different nationalities on our full-time courses.
- IAB programmes are Interdisciplinary – this means that as well as studying your main subject you also get lessons in other performing arts disciplines.
- Our programmes are Vocational – you train with a focus on a lasting career as a performer.
- Intensive learning – to give you the best training and learning experience, you get a high contact time with staff. So your days are busy. At the IAB you learn by doing.
- We are a Conservatoire. Fundamentally, the difference between conservatoire (or drama school) training and traditional university performance courses is that a conservatoire is focused on professional, vocational training, preparing its students for the industry in which they want to work.
- All of our students are fellow performers in training, which makes for a dynamic and creative community.
- International network – when you leave the IAB you will have made friends and professional contacts from all over the world.
- We teach in English – this is a great way to improve your English if it is not your first language. For native English speakers it is also a good way to improve how you communicate with those who don´t speak English as their first language.
- Learn Spanish – there are plenty of opportunities to learn Spanish or Catalan. You can learn from fellow students or even take classes.
- Business focus – IAB programmes include business modules. We believe it is important that you have basic business skills.
- Visiting musical directors and live musical accompaniment for Musical Theatre shows, means students work with industry professionals and experience a real theatre experience from start to finish. Directors are often from London´s West End and other important centres of live performance.
- Frequent shows and performances – we produce about 30 shows a year. The IAB is a theatre company in its own right and students get involved in all aspects of production, not just performing.
- Open to the public – most shows in our 200 seat theatre are open to the public. We are often sold out, especially for year 6 students.
- Regular assessments – our validating university requires that you are regularly assessed. High contact time with teachers also means that they are there to guide and instruct you. Training at the IAB is an interactive experience.
- IAB Health is our in house health clinic and physiotherapy. We have highly qualified therapists available at a very low price.
- Full time in house student counselling service – means you can always see the counsellor at short notice to discuss any problems you may have.
- Frequent visits and classes by professional international lecturers and performers and choreographers – this means you have a good variety of people supporting the full time staff – same as if you were in a big city like London.
- International professional faculty – our full-time staff are highly qualified and experienced teachers – they all have professional experience as performers.
- Exclusive in-house auditions – we host private auditions for our students with casting directors, agents, cruise ship companies and production companies.
- International Graduate Showcase – graduating students connect with all with our annual showcase. A good time to show your work and connect with a variety of agents and casting directors.
- UK university degree – when you graduate from our BA Hons or Master programmes you will have an internationally recognised degree from a top UK university – Liverpool John Moores University
- Regular visits from university to ensure standards are high and in line with UK Quality Assurance Agency requirements.
- Learn to work collaboratively - in teams and improve your communication skills.
- Competitively priced fees – we aim to keep our fees as low as possible without compromising your course.
- Great facilities in modern campus – students and lecturers love working in our light, bright and big studios.
- Open for 12 hours a day – so you can practise before and after classes.
- Students can use facilities on Saturdays.
- Regular opportunities to perform in public both at the IAB and in Sitges or Barcelona.
- Located in the town of Sitges – a great place to be a student – a great quality of life on the Mediterranean Sea.
- Low cost accommodation – there are lots of flats to rent at reasonable prices in Sitges.
- Our Student Accomodation is just a 5 minute walk to the IAB – so no lost time or money commuting. Most first year students stay in it as it is cheap, and a good place to make new friends.
- Low cost of living means you won´t have the big living expenses as most cities.
- Just half an hour and a cheap direct bus ride to Barcelona Airport.
- We have a low cost in house café – you can also bring your own food.
- Links to other similar institutions like Pace in New York.
Want to know more about Foundation Musical Theatre? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Foundation / Pathway program
Foundation / Pathway program
Foundation / Pathway program
Summer / Short course
850 GBP-895 GBP