MSc in Finance (FinTech and Financial Analytics)Hong Kong Baptist University / HKBU
MSc in Finance (FinTech and Financial Analytics)
The Programme aims at empowering students with knowledge in Finance, FinTech and Financial Analytics, helping them develop the ability to solve finance-related business problems, and nurturing them to better prepare for the fast-growing demand in today’s data-driven economy.
Who Should Enrol?
The Department of Finance and Decision Sciences is committed to nurture more FinTech talent in Hong Kong:
Looking for Change
Candidates who seek to adapt their traditional financial business to the new-age digital economy and prepare for the challenges coming out of the new data-driven economy.
Candidates who seek to deepen their knowledge in the disruptive innovations and transformative forces in the finance ecosystem.
Entering the New Era
Candidates who seek to enter the FinTech or Financial Analytics Industry.
Seeking Professional Qualification
Candidates who seek to obtain globally recognized professional qualification in FinTech industry.
- A Bachelor degree with honours from a recognized university or comparable institution, or a professional qualification deemed to be equivalent.
- A satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)/Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is encouraged but not mandatory.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- A minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5; or
- TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based)/79 (internet-based); or
- The equivalent score of other tests.
Applicants should possess proof of English proficiency if their first degrees were obtained from non-English-medium institutions.
For part-time mode applicants, preference will be given to applicants who have a minimum of three years of relevant work experience, although this may be relaxed for highly qualified applicants.
It is mandatory for students to possess basic training/experience in Finance, Mathematics or Computer Science before embarking on the program. This requirement can be satisfied by the possession of a prior academic degree with major/minor in one of the required fields, by the completion of a substantial number of courses in these fields or by related previous working experience. Applicants who do not possess these qualifications will be required to satisfactorily complete specific preparatory courses covering areas such as quantitative methods (Mathematics, Statistics), Finance and Economics. The students should gain a “pass” in the required preparatory courses before being officially admitted to the Programme.
Qualified applicants will be required to attend an admission interview as part of the selection process.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Curriculum Structure (subject to review)
Students are required to complete eight core courses and two elective courses for graduation. In addition, students are encouraged to participate in internships during their studies, and the program will assist in providing internship opportunities.
Students will receive a one-year complimentary membership to the Fintech Association of Hong Kong (FTAHK).
IAPP - International Association of Privacy Professionals
Official IAPP resources (privacy aspects) from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) will be adopted in the course “Cybersecurity, Privacy and RegTech for Finance”. Students will receive a complimentary 1 Year Membership from IAPP, which will allow access to their online resources and member benefits. This course will also cover the fundamental privacy concepts towards IAPP's prestigious industry certifications.
Core Courses - 24 units:
- FIN 7780 Financial Technology (FinTech) (3 units)
- FIN 7790 Machine Learning for Financial Data (3 units)
- FIN 7800 Corporate Finance (3 units)
- FIN 7810 Investment Management (3 units)
- FIN 7830 Financial Computing with Python and R (3 units)
- FIN 7840 Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (3 units)
- FIN 7870 Financial Derivatives and Risk Management (3 units)
- FIN 7900 Cybersecurity, Privacy and RegTech for Finance (3 units)
Elective Courses - 6 units:
- FIN 7820 Applied Financial Econometrics (3 units)
- FIN 7850 Algorithmic and High-Frequency Trading (3 units)
- FIN 7860 International Financial Management (3 units)
- FIN 7880 Textual Analysis in Finance and Accounting (3 units)
- FIN 7890 Compliance in Finance (3 units)
- FIN 7910 Independent Studies Integrative Project (3 units)
Scholarships & funding
Scholarship and Financial Subsidy
International Postgraduate Scholarships
To enhance internationalization and provide students with a global educational experience, the International Postgraduate Scholarship is offered to outstanding international students. Scholarship recipients will get full tuition waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (approx. US$12,820). Eligible international applicants will be automatically considered for the scholarship based on their all-round record and interview performance.
Diversity Contribution Scholarships
We believe that diversity inspires new thinking, fosters greater understanding and enriches the learning experience. The Diversity Contribution Scholarship is attributed to new entrants who can enhance the diversity of the programme. Applicants are assessed on a broad range of criteria, including international exposure, cultural experiences, overseas education, work experience, special achievement and talents. The scholarship amount ranges from half tuition waiver to full tuition waiver.
Entrance Scholarship / Young Talent Scholarships (for full-time applicants only)
These Scholarships, range from HK$5,000 to HK$50,000, and will be provided to students with outstanding academic backgrounds and public examination results. Applicants who submit completed applications before the deadline of the first round admission will be considered for the scholarships automatically.
University Grants Committee Taught Postgraduate Programmes Fellowships (for local applicants only)
The UGC (University Grants Committee) offers fellowships for LOCAL students studying the MSc in Finance (Fintech and Financial Analytics) programme. Ten admitted local students could receive HKD120,000 subsidy each by the government. The award of the fellowships will be based on merits taking into account the students’ academic achievements, professional qualifications, relevant working experience and achievements in other areas. Applicants are required to submit a proposal with special attention to their personal statements on how they can contribute to the FinTech and Financial Analytics areas of Hong Kong after completing the programme. (The Fellowship is subject to approval from Legislative Council).
Excellence Academic Performance Awards
Student(s) who obtain the highest cGPA in the class will be awarded at the time of graduation.
CEF (Continuing Education Fund) (for local applicants only)
Students can apply for the HKSAR’s Continuing Education Fund (CEF) for reimbursement up to HK$20,000 (from 1 April 2019) and/or HKSAR’s Government Extended Non-Means Tested Loan Schemes (ENLS).
SlowMist Cybersecurity Award
A cash prize of USD 2,000 will be awarded to the best Individual Assignment of FIN7900 Cybersecurity, Privacy and RegTech.
For more information about scholarships, please contact the university.
Note: Tuition fees are subject to annual review.
Founded in 1956, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) is a public tertiary institution (Government-funded university) in Hong Kong, which committed to the provision of whole person education. Today, HKBU encompasses eight Faculties/Schools, offering a range of bachelor, master (taught or research postgraduate) and doctoral programmes. Over the years, HKBU has remained committed to academic excellence and the development of the whole person, and has gained a reputation as one of Asia’s finest institutions of higher learning.
About this institute
Hong Kong Baptist University / HKBU
Since 1956, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU), School of Business has provided innovative business education to students from across the globe. HKBU School of Business has achieved recognition from the three largest and most influential business school accreditation associations. The...
Why study at Hong Kong Baptist University / HKBU
A few reasons to study at HKBU School of Business:
- HKBU School of Business is based in one of world’s most important financial centres and is strategically located to effectively address major global trade and business developments.
- Along with the HKBU mission focusing on Whole Person Development, the School focuses on holistic business education. Students are equipped with employable skills, because of which graduates are highly regarded by employers.
- There are many programmes for students to choose from, including a BBA programme and 14 postgraduate programmes, ranging from master’s level to PhD.
HKBU School of Business is recognised worldwide as:
- The only business school in Hong Kong and among the 1% of schools worldwide to be accredited by AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS.
- The longest-established publicly funded business school in Hong Kong, established in 1956 and having an alumni network of over 20,000.
- A Top 25 Asia-Pacific Business School (Financial Times in 2018).
- A Top 15 Young University in Asia (QS World University Rankings for the last five years).
- HKBU ranked 60th in the world (Times Higher Education World University Impact Rankings in 2019).
Want to know more about MSc in Finance (FinTech and Financial Analytics)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...