MSc in Applied Economics (MScAEcon)
The Master of Science in Applied Economics (MScAEcon) is a one-year full-time programme that equips students with economics knowledge to analyze the changing world economy.
The programme integrates economic theory with applied economic analysis, and will enable students to understand the economy of China and the world. The curriculum is designed to provide students the flexibility of choosing electives for pursuing career in applied economics or future research-oriented studies. Graduates will be equipped with analytical skills and techniques for analyzing business and real world problems from the economic perspective. Our graduates are trained to be competent economic analysts in business corporations, public organizations and financial institutions. Outstanding students are offered scholarships and merit-based awards.
One of the elective courses of our programme, “Business Economics Field Study”, aims at providing student overseas exposure to understanding and examining economic or/and business environment. The site visit at the chosen location(s) lasts up to 3 weeks. With respect to the location(s) of the field trip, students are required to do the groundwork regarding the economic and business situation before setting off. During the field trip, by means of company/institution visits, seminars and workshops, and talks by professionals, students would have a thorough understanding of particular industrial/business sectors or/and an overall view of the economy. After the field trip, students work as a group in performing economic analyses based on the overseas exposure provided. Course instructor(s) will provide feedbacks on the presentation of the report submitted by the students.
Our programme also provides students with local experience through firm visits, guest lectures by business professional and government officials enhancing our students’ understanding of the operation of the corporation in relation to knowledge learned. In past years, we have arranged firm visits to Cathay Pacific, DHL, Hong Kong Trade Development Council, BCT Financial Limited and Modern Terminals as well as invited professionals from Bank of China (HK), Nomura International, the Government of HKSAR and Royal Bank of Canada to give a lecture to our students.
Strong Academic Network
Renowned faculty members from top universities around the world are invited to deliver guest lectures and seminars to students.
Solid Industry Connections
Firm visits and workshops are organised regularly for students to foster a closer link with the business communities.
Opportunity to Work in Hong Kong
Non-Hong Kong graduates of the programme can apply to stay and work in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation, no matter they have been secured an offer of employment or not.
Practical Business-oriented Curriculum
The curriculum consists of practical components in different aspects covering risk management, corporate finance, economics of digital markets and big data analytics.
- A Bachelor degree from a recognised university, or equivalent. Although a bachelor degree in economics or related areas is not a pre-requisite for admission, the applicant is expected to possess the knowledge of microeconomics and macroeconomics, with some training in mathematics (especially in calculus and linear algebra) and statistics.
- Proof of English proficiency is required for applicants whose first degree were obtained from non-English-medium institutions. This can be fulfilled by obtaining a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 79; or a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS; OR other equivalent qualifications.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Why MSCAEcon at HKBU?
- A balanced training in advanced economic knowledge and applied economics analyses
- An understanding of the Chinese economy from a global perspective
- Application of analytical techniques on real world business and policy issues
- Provision of opportunities to choose between professional career development and academic pursuit
Catering Needs of Students with Different Pursuits
- Separate study paths are available for students to choose between professional career development and academic pursuit
- Professional Career Development: Competent economic and business analysts in banking, financial institutions, and other commercial sectors, as well as public institutions
- Academic Pursuit: Further study at a Ph.D. level in economics and other fields
Diversified Learning Environment
- Cohort mix of international, Hong Kong local and Mainland students
- Opportunity for firm visits
- Attending talks/lectures provided by business professionals and government officials
- An option of overseas field study as one of the elective courses
- International Postgraduate Scholarship for international students (full tuition fee waiver and living allowance)
- Entrance Scholarships up to full tuition fee waiver for all applicants
- Merit-based Awards upon graduation
- The programme is made up of courses oriented toward three core elements: economics knowledge and theories, applied analyses and the Chinese economy
- 5 core and 5 elective courses
- 2 regular semesters with one intensive summer term
- NOTE: For the Summer Term, students can opt for participating in a field study course with a designated elective course to meet the 6 units requirement.
Students will acquire advanced knowledge for analysing economic issues.
Students will be able to analyse the economic behaviour of various agents and institutions in the economy.
Students will be able to apply theories to analyse real world problems.
Students will be able to apply economic theories and empirical methods in applied economic research.
Scholarships & funding
The university offers numerous scholarships:
- International Postgraduate Scholarships are available to international students.
- MAcc Diversity Contribution Scholarships are available to full-time / part-time applicants.
- MAcc Entrance Scholarships are available to full-time / part-time students.
- Course Scholarships are available to students with outstanding academic performance.
- Competition Winning Awards are available to students who have won the competition or have been awarded a cash prize by the professional accounting/business organizations or bodies.
- Professional Education Awards are set up to reward outstanding part-time students.
- MAcc Pre-core Course Scholarships are available to part-time students.
- Professional Accounting Examination Awards are available to part-time students.
International Postgraduate Scholarships
Offers students a full tuition waiver and a living allowance of approximately USD 12,820.
Continuing Education Fund (CEF)
Core and elective courses in this programme are included in the Continuing Education Fund (CEF) reimbursable course list issued by the HKSAR Government. Students are eligible to apply for reimbursement of the tuition fees paid on these twelve courses, subject to the maximum ceiling of HK$20,000 per applicant.
Non-means Tested Loan
Local students are eligible to apply for the Non-means Tested Loan Scheme provided by the Student Financial Assistance Agency of HKSAR.
For more information about scholarships, please contact the university.
About this institute
Study business and finance programs in Hong Kong
Since 1956, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has provided innovative business education to students from across the globe. The School of Business has achieved recognition from the three largest and most influential business school accreditation associations. The school is among...
Want to know more about MSc in Applied Economics (MScAEcon)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
San Sebastián, Spain
Gran Canaria, Spain