For some, "making the world a better place" is not an idealistic slogan, but a goal and a passion. If you are such a person and want to learn methods of solving problems effectively with people, you should consider a degree in social work. Some ways to help others are direct, one-to-one counseling with individual clients and families; and others are indirect, such as developing organizations and communities. Social work is a broad profession that tries to understand how individuals, groups, and communities are affected by social problems such as poverty, mental and physical illness, family difficulties, and social injustice. Social workers are employed in a variety of settings such as hospitals, schools, the legislature, and social welfare agencies that address the needs of children, adults, and elders. Wherever they find themselves, social workers use their skills to empower others to help themselves and change unresponsive social systems. The Bachelor of Social Work program helps students to develop the necessary knowledge, values and skills to help "make the world a better place."
- Online Application
- Academic Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Psychology
- American Political System
- Social Sustainability, Social Work and Social Entrepreneurship
- Introduction to Sociology
- Social Problems and Policy
- Global Systems and Development
- Generalist Social Work Practice
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment I
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment II
- Social Work Practice with Individuals
- Research and Writing in Social Work
- American Social Welfare Policy
- Speical Topics in Social Work
- Practice in the Profession
- Social Work Practice with Families and Groups
- Social Work Practice with Organizations and Communities
- Social Work Practicum I
- Social Work Practicum II
- Social Work Capstone
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information
- Student demonstrates ethical and professional behavior
- Student engages diversity and difference practice.
- Student advances human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice.
- Student engages in practice-informed research and research-informed practice.
- Student engages in policy practice.
- Student engages with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Student assesses individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Student intervenes with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Student evaluates practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
The mission of HPU's School of Social Work is to prepare qualified students, especially working adults, for entry into the competent, ethical, and effective practice of advanced generalist social work.
About this institute
Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. HPU is home to over 5,500 students from all 50 states and over 70 countries around the world. Our campuses are unique, with the excitement...
Why study at Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. We are home to over 5,000 students from all 50 states and over 70 countries around the world. Our campuses are exquisitely unique. HPU combines the excitement of an urban campus located in downtown Honolulu with the serenity of a campus set in the green foothills of the Ko‘olau mountains and an Oceanic Institute bordering the Pacific Ocean. All three are less than a 30 minute drive from the infamous Waikiki.
Our curriculum, which builds on our diversity by combining American educational traditions with global perspectives, emphasizes on rigorous intellectual engagement and social responsibility. The hands-on learning approach in combination with small class sizes and an inspiring teaching faculty ensure that students get the most of their studies.
All that combined is what makes HPU a one-of-a-kind destination.
Want to know more about Social Work? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Campbellsville, United States of America