International StudiesHawai'i Pacific University
All available course dates
About this program
A major in International Studies (IS) prepares students to take their place as citizens of the world. The multi-disciplinary approach aims at immersing students in various methods of analyzing contemporary international issues. Students gain a foundation in the disciplines of political science and international relations, and a knowledge of global issues from courses in anthropology, economics, geography, and history. An important goal of this study is to describe the nature and evolution of contemporary global structures.
Students develop regional expertise in a specific country or world region (e.g., China, India, Japan, Europe, or Latin America), gain competency in a second language, and are strongly encouraged to participate in study abroad opportunities.
- Online Application
- Academic Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of English Language proficiency
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- World Regional Geography
- Visualizing Human Geography
- The International System
- Introduction to Politics
- Introduction to Research
- Any 3000-level History course
- International Relations
- Comparative Politics
- Senior Seminar in International Studies
Development and Sustainability
- Environment and Sustainability
- Global Systems and Development
- The Functions and Dysfunctions of American Medicine
- Anthropology of Food
- Environmental Economics
- Environmental Policy Process
- Sustainable Cities
- History of Oil in the Modern World
- Bubbles, Panics, and Depressions: A World History of Economic Crisis
- International Political Economy
- International Human Rights
- any Contemporary Nations course (e.g., China, EU, Japan, Korea)
- Building Sustainable Communities
- Global Justice
International Relations and Security
- American Foreign Policy
- War and Society Since 1500
- U.S. Diplomatic History
- Modern World Revolutions
- National and International Security
- Peace-Building and Conflict Management
- Global Governance
- International Law
- International Relations of Asia
- Any Contemporary Nations course (e.g., China, EU, Japan, Korea)
- Islam and Politics
- Politics of Terrorism
- Sociology of Terrorism
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information
Students who major in International Studies will be able to:
- Develop competency in various theoretical approaches in the field of international studies
- Be able to conduct rigorous comparative analysis of international issues in a regional context and within social science disciplines
- Work within conceptual frameworks to analyze the global arena of politics, economics, and social/cultural issues
- Gain proficiency in critical skills in international relations to include an emphasis on research and communication skills, knowledge of various world cultures, and global systems
The B.A. in International Studies has proven to be a successful undergraduate degree to meet global challenges as well as to prepare students for graduate programs and law schools. The interdisciplinary nature of the BAIS positions students to become employed by a wide range of public and private sector firms (including the Foreign Service and the intelligence community), international organizations like the (EU and UN), and non-governmental organizations. Many careers today demand that people's knowledge and skills stretch beyond their own physical and cultural borders to deal with issues in a global context.
Message the school
About this institute
Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. HPU is home to over 4,000 students from all 50 states and over 65 countries around the world. Our campuses are unique, with the excitement...
Why study at Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. We are home to over 4,000 students from all 50 states and over 65 countries around the world. Our campuses are exquisitely unique. HPU combines the excitement of an urban campus located in downtown Honolulu with the serenity of a campus set in the green foothills of the Ko‘olau mountains and an Oceanic Institute bordering the Pacific Ocean. All three are less than a 30 minute drive from the infamous Waikiki.
Our curriculum, which builds on our diversity by combining American educational traditions with global perspectives, emphasizes on rigorous intellectual engagement and social responsibility. The hands-on learning approach in combination with small class sizes and an inspiring teaching faculty ensure that students get the most of their studies.
All that combined is what makes HPU a one-of-a-kind destination.
Want to know more about International Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...