The history major at Hawai‘i Pacific University provides students with a solid foundation in the field of historical studies and its methodologies. It offers broad exposure to the past, chronologically and geographically, through a selection of courses offering in-depth study of regional, global and thematic history. The capstone course is a seminar resulting in a substantial piece of research and synthesis. The history major develops skills and a base of knowledge to prepare the student for graduate study. It also enables one to pursue careers drawing upon competency in research, writing, analysis, comparative perspectives, multicultural sensitivities, foreign language ability, and related skills relevant to positions in a variety of changing environments.
- Online Application
- Academic Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- GLobal Crossroads: 1500 to Present (Global Crossroads and Diversity)
- The American Experience, 1865 to the Present (The American Experience)
- Traditions and Encounters: World Cultures to 1500 (Traditions and Movements that Shape the World)
- American Stories: Themes in American History to 1877 (The American Experience)
- Cultural Anthropology (Global Crossroads and Diversity)
- World Regional Geogprahy (Global Crossroads and Diversity)
- Reacting to the Past (Critical Thinking and Expression)
- Living History of Hawai'i (Hawai'i and the Pacific
- The International System (Global Crossroads and Diversity)
- American Politics (The American Experience)
- Introduction to Politics (Traditions and Movements that Shpae the World
- The Historian's Craft
- Seminar in History
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information
Students who major in history will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of diverse historical viewpoints.
- Place historical questions and issues of enduring importance within their chronological and geographical contexts.
- Gain a historical understanding of cultures and regions of the world across time.
- Recognize the nature of global processes, as they operate in a historical framework, through the study of global systems such as capitalism, gender, warfare, religion, etc.
- Demonstrate critical analytic, reasoning, and research skills.
- Effectively and clearly communicate historical ideas both orally and in writing.
A History degree from HPU prepares students for careers in business, government, journalism, education, law, public interest fields, and a wide range of other professions. Students develop strong investigative, analytical, and communication skills applicable in a wide range of careers, and acquire the flexibility to adapt to the changing marketplace and to expand professional opportunities.
About this institute
Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. HPU is home to over 5,500 students from all 50 states and over 70 countries around the world. Our campuses are unique, with the excitement...
Why study at Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. We are home to over 5,000 students from all 50 states and over 70 countries around the world. Our campuses are exquisitely unique. HPU combines the excitement of an urban campus located in downtown Honolulu with the serenity of a campus set in the green foothills of the Ko‘olau mountains and an Oceanic Institute bordering the Pacific Ocean. All three are less than a 30 minute drive from the infamous Waikiki.
Our curriculum, which builds on our diversity by combining American educational traditions with global perspectives, emphasizes on rigorous intellectual engagement and social responsibility. The hands-on learning approach in combination with small class sizes and an inspiring teaching faculty ensure that students get the most of their studies.
All that combined is what makes HPU a one-of-a-kind destination.
Want to know more about History? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...