Communication StudiesHawai'i Pacific University
All available course dates
About this program
Communication Studies and Practicesempowers students to become successful and mindful global citizens by engaging in effective and ethical communication. Communication Studies and Practicesprovides knowledge and skills that are critical for success and enrichment in our personal, professional and civic lives. The discipline of Communication focuses on how people use messages to generate and share meanings across various contexts, cultures, and media. Known as “rhetoric” in the Western academic tradition, communication pedagogy has been a central concern of Greek, Roman, Medieval, Renaissance, Asian, Indigenous and modern culture. Today, the study and applications of communication embraces the Internet, e-commerce, mobile communications, global diplomacy, advertising, public relations, journalism, broadcasting, intercultural and interpersonal communication, as well as public speaking, digital mechanisms and media studies.
Concentration in Communication Studies
In the Communication Studies and Practicesconcentration, an emphasis on effective communication techniques, media technology, and culture is built on a foundation of communication theory and research.
Concentration in Strategic Communication
The concentration in Strategic Communication combines the areas of Advertising, Public Relations, Media and Marketing Communication to reflect today’s converging industries and job opportunities. Required classes focus on integration of Advertising, Public Relations, Media and Marketing Communications while providing students the flexibility to tailor their degree to fit their career interests.
- Online Application
- Academic Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of English Language proficiency
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Intro to Communication Skills
- Public Speaking
- Sex and Gender in Communication Contexts
- Argumentation and Debate
- Intro to Mass Communication
- Mass Communication Research
- Point, Shoot, Edit
- Foundations of Multimedia Production
- Intercultural Communication
- Communication Theory
- Writing for Digital Media
- New Media Strategies & Sales
- Special Events Planning
- First Amend. and Intellectual Property Law
- Mass Media Today
- Advanced Public Speaking
- Technical Communication
- Communication Practicum
- Social Media
- Creativity and Copy Writing
- Audience Behavior
- Seminar in Communication Criticism
- Capstone Experience
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information
Students who major in Communication Studies and Practicesand Practices will:
- Demonstrate proficient academic writing skill, including careful control of Standard Written English and the ability to effectively, clearly, and persuasively communicate perspective and analysis.
- Demonstrate oral communication competency in a variety of contexts.
- Be able to both identify and articulate information needs, and to deploy the most appropriate materials and strategies to ethically address those needs
- Demonstrate skills in quantitative analyses, being able to interpret, compute, and utilize statistics.
Students who major in Communication Studies and Practices& Practices with a concentration in Communication Studies and Practiceswill also
- Demonstrate understanding of Communication theories and the ability to apply them to communication situations and media artifacts.
Students who major in Communication Studies and Practices& Practices with a concentration in Strategic Communication will also be able to:
- Build integrated strategic communication programs in business, professional, and social environments, including; research and planning, rationale, and campaign implementation techniques.
- Produce a professional, entry-level Strategic Communication portfolio.
- Apply First Amendment, copyright, and contract laws in Strategic Communication situations.
- Build a foundation for lifelong learning and advanced education in Strategic Communication
Message the school
About this institute
Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. HPU is home to over 4,000 students from all 50 states and over 65 countries around the world. Our campuses are unique, with the excitement...
Why study at Hawai'i Pacific University
Hawai‘i Pacific University is the largest private, non-profit university in the state of Hawai’i, USA. We are home to over 4,000 students from all 50 states and over 65 countries around the world. Our campuses are exquisitely unique. HPU combines the excitement of an urban campus located in downtown Honolulu with the serenity of a campus set in the green foothills of the Ko‘olau mountains and an Oceanic Institute bordering the Pacific Ocean. All three are less than a 30 minute drive from the infamous Waikiki.
Our curriculum, which builds on our diversity by combining American educational traditions with global perspectives, emphasizes on rigorous intellectual engagement and social responsibility. The hands-on learning approach in combination with small class sizes and an inspiring teaching faculty ensure that students get the most of their studies.
All that combined is what makes HPU a one-of-a-kind destination.
Average rating 5Based on 2 reviews.
Want to know more about Communication Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
You may also like...