About this program
Master of Biomedical Sciences
The 21st century started as the century of molecular life sciences. Ever since the 1990s when scientists greatly improved our insights into the molecular basis of life processes, the life sciences have developed at a tremendous rate. Various breakthroughs, including the mapping of the human genome, are leading to the rapid development of inter-relationships between formerly autonomous scientific disciplines such as genetics, medicine, pharmacology, biology, and environmental science. This creates new prospects for the academic and business worlds. Investments are huge: all over the world, universities, research institutes and businesses are launching new research initiatives, teaching programmes and business related activities.
In accordance with its Lisbon Strategy, aimed at a more ambitious reinforcement of Europe’s knowledge-based economy, the EU strongly supports further development of genomics and biotechnology. And these are only two of many future scientific developments in the realm of the life sciences, including proteomics, bioinformatics, bioelectronics and imaging, all of which have numerous applications for human health, wellness and prosperity.
The Master of Biomedical Sciences focuses on state-of-the-art methodology, knowledge, insight and academic skills, enabling graduates to unravel the molecular mechanisms of health and disease as independent researchers. The programme provides students with the knowledge and skills required for the proper design of a scientific research project.
Direct admission to the master programmes BMS
To the master's programme Bioelectronics and Nanotechnology:
- All applicants who have at least a bachelor's degree (180 ECTS credit points) in biomedical sciences from a Belgian University (or Maastricht University).
- All applicants with at least a bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credit points) in biology, physics or chemistry from Hasselt University (on condition that a prescribed optional package is included in these bachelor’s programmes).
To the master's programme Environmental Health Sciences and Molecular Mechanisms in Health and Disease:
- All applicants who have at least a bachelor's degree (180 ECTS credit points) in biomedical sciences or medicine from a Belgian University (or Maastricht University).
- All applicants with at least a bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credit points) in biology or chemistry from Hasselt University (on condition that a prescribed optional package is included in these bachelor’s programmes).
Applicants with a different educational background (obtained at a Belgian University) should contact the programme coordinator for specific regulations. The Examination Board of the programme evaluates each application individually concerning the applicant's academic record.
Sufficient knowledge of English is required and has to be confirmed by presenting a sufficient score on a language test (TOEFL or IELTS) and by an intake interview at the request of the programme coordinator. Native speakers or holders of a degree obtained in the English language are exempt from a language test.
For further detailed information on admissions requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Students have the option of three specializations within this degree.
Bioelectronics and Nanotechnology
This unique master's degree programme in Belgium focuses on a novel and interdisciplinary scientific domain at the boundaries between physics, chemistry, electronics, and biomedical sciences.
Environmental Health Sciences
This unique master's degree programme focuses on the novel and interdisciplinary scientific domain of toxicology, molecular biology and epidemiology. Central themes are the complex interactions between individual genetics and exogenous factors present in either food, environmental compartments or their lifestyle that may have an impact on the environment and health. The programme focuses on interdisciplinarity to solve complex problems and contributes to the improvement of significant societal problems.
Molecular mechanisms in Health and Disease
This unique master's programme focuses on state-of-the-art methodology, in depth knowledge, insight and academic skills, preparing graduates for a carrier in science. The central theme of this master's programme is to unravel the molecular mechanisms of diseases, and to translate research findings into novel approaches for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of these diseases. Students get the possibility to further specialize in one of the core research themes of the faculty of Medicine and Life Sciences at Hasselt University, namely, neuroscience, cardiovascular science and immunology & infection.
Scholarships & funding
Master Mind scholarship
The Flemish Ministry of Education awards scholarships to outstanding students for master's programmes in Flanders.
Standard Fee: €960,60
Master of Biomedical Sciences (120 ECTS)
Possible career paths are
- Applied and fundamental research at universities, hospitals, and research centers in scientific and biomedical disciplines (PhD, research associate...)
- Research and development in companies specialized in pharmaceutics, diagnostics, biotechnology, semiconductor and biomedical devices, and medical engineering (product specialist, process analyst, product engineer, service engineer, scientist, process analyst, patent agent, ...)
- Governmental authorities and centers focusing on public health, environmental conservation, genetics, and information services (project manager, business developer, investment manager...)
- Independent consultant and entrepreneur
- Education (teaching assistant…)
Message the school
About this institute
Hasselt University is an innovative university which has a pronounced international orientation. It stands for excellence in education, top research in spearhead fields and active commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship. This is reflected by its ranking amongst the best 2%...
Want to know more about Master of Biomedical Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Rapid City, United States of America