European Master in Sustainable Energy System ManagementHanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen
Study a European Master's in Sustainable Energy System Management in the Netherlands
This European Master in Sustainable Energy System Management programme from Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen will allow students with a background in economics, social sciences, management and systemic studies to join the sustainable energy industry.
The transition towards renewable energy sources like sun, wind, biomass and geothermal energy is supported by a growing and increasingly important industry. Interdisciplinarity is the key word here. Economic, legal, social, technological and environmental issues all come together in one big challenge: implementing new concepts in a world that seems addicted to the old energy sources. New professionals need to understand the complexities of doing business in a vastly changing energy market. They must be capable of designing and modelling innovative business plans, as well as implementing them in real world situations.
Focus of the European Master in Sustainable Energy System Management programme from Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen
- At the forefront of the energy transition.
- Multidisciplinary programme with a focus on the business, economical and management perspectives of innovative energy transition projects.
- Design and implementation of real life business cases in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Advanced modelling, simulation, and financial assessment techniques to support strategic business planning and implementation.
- Master of Science programme based on the concept of Design Oriented Research.
- International focus. Not only because of the international student mix, but also because the programme offers the unique opportunity to study in at least two European countries. This means you will have the opportunity to get involved in a range of European universities and companies related to the renewable energy sector.
- Interactive teaching methods with a strong focus on coaching, discussion, presentations and group work.
A bachelor's degree in:
- social sciences
- studies providing a systemic point of view
Applicants with an alternative bachelor’s degree (not included in the list above) will have their background and qualifications assessed.The criteria may be waived for applicants with relevant work experience deemed equivalent to the academic admission requirements. Applicants should have a good understanding of modelling. All candidates must satisfy the language requirements of the university of applied sciences.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
During the core semester you acquire a solid foundation in economics and business concepts. These are related to innovative energy project design and related aspects of the energy business. Combined with planning, strategic decision-making and communication, this core knowledge will allow you to analyse energy business challenges from an interdisciplinary perspective. The core is only offered at Hanze UAS Groningen.
Themes of the core semester
- Energy Transition Context
- Energy Technologies, Plants & Integration
- System Innovation Processes
- Markets, Finance, and Law
- Research Methodology
- Models & Scenarios for Strategic Decision Making
The second semester focuses on System Innovation Management, Sustainable Energy and ICT or Sustainable Energy Mnagement. In-depth conceptual lectures are accompanied by practical assignments and technically orientated company visits. As a student you are required to actively contribute to the course content by presenting papers and carrying out research tasks.
Hanze UAS – Specialisation System Innovation Management (SIM)
- System Model Application
- Energy Infrastructures and Renewables
- System Innovation Processes
- System Business case Economics & Law
- Energy Business Plan Development
- Applied Research Energy System
Howest UAS – Specialisation Sustainable Energy and ICT
- Energy Audit & Dashboarding (electrical & thermal)
- Big Data & Internet of Things
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
- Smart Grids, Renewables & Storage (electrical & thermal)
- Energy Services & Legislations
- Blockchain & Security
University of Zaragoza – Specialisation Sustainable Energy Management (SEM)
- Socio-economic Aspects of Energy
- Renewable Energy Markets
- Electricity and Efficiency Energy Markets
- Systems and Tools for Energy Management
- Start Up and Management of Energy Service
- Companies (ESCOs) and Projects
The third and last semester you will apply your knowledge and skills in a research project at a company or a research centre. Based on this research you will write your thesis under the supervision of a (core) professor, a professor of the specialisation and a professor from the project provider. At the end of the master’s programme, you will present your results to an assessment committee, at a EUREC gathering in Brussels.
Scholarships & funding
Hanze UAS has various scholarship possibilities to aid students financially if they meet the requirements.
For more information, please visit the University's website.
Degree awarded: Master of Science, as well as EUREC certificate
The European Master in Sustainable Energy System Management focuses on the business and economical aspects of the energy system. It provides the economical and management skills and technical knowledge you need for employment in the renewable energy industry, through real life business cases and projects.
At completing this master's programme you will have a system's perspective in terms of sustainable energy challenges. You will be able to analyse, design, and implement business cases and sustainable energy systems with a systemic and interdisciplinary approach, making you a valuable asset to the whole energy industry.
About this institute
Hanze University of Applied Sciences - Groningen, the Netherlands
If you choose to study at Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen, you will be joining a learning community where we bring education, applied research and the business field together. And on top of that, you will be living in the best student city...
Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen
Want to know more about European Master in Sustainable Energy System Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.