About this program
Film, Video, and Photography
Visual artists at Hampshire explore film, video, and photography primarily through independent experimentation with many forms of analog, digital, and electronic media, as well as installation and performance.
This individualized process of creation, along with our internationally recognized faculty, excellent technical facilities, and staff support, ensures that Hampshire students can develop their fullest artistic visions along with the tools to produce them.
Students are given the necessary foundations in form, technique, and production skills, while being encouraged to examine the theoretical and critical contexts and the current practices and debates that will inform their artistic expression.
Sample First-Year Course
Hand Made Films
This course will explore experimental and avant-garde films made in the artisanal mode often in political response to commercial culture or in concert with developments in modern and post-modern art. The course will focus on films that respond directly to the physical properties of the medium either by subverting the photographic process or by directly manipulating the materials through primitive animation or direct painting on film. We will screen films from all periods of cinema history, from Winsor McCay to Stan Brakhage, as well as by current artists. Also, students will try their own hand made filmmaking through group and individual projects with pin-hole cameras, painting and drawing on film, cell and object animation, and hand-processing techniques.
Sample Courses at Hampshire
- Advanced Photography: Sequence/Structure/Juxtaposition
- Advanced Screenwriting Workshop
- Breaking the Frame: European New Wave Cinemas of the 1960s and1970s
- Computer Animation I, II, and III
- The Cultured Camera
- Documentary Practice: The Archive
- Exploring Photography in the Digital Realm
- Film Workshop I and II
- Hand Made Films
- Intro to Film Studies: History and Theory, 1895-1960
- Intro to Media Arts in Film,Photography, and Video: Cuba
- Intro to Media Production: Images of War
- Japanese Cinema
- Literature, Opera, Film
- Mapping Time: Histories and Practices of Film/Video Installation Art
- Performance and Directing for Film,Video, and Installation
- Performing the Image
- Photography and the East
- Recycled Images
- Still Photography I and II
- Video I and II
- Women in Animation
Through the Consortium
- British Film and Television (SC)
- Film Authorship: Hitchcock and After (MHC)
- Film Theory (SC)
- History of World Cinema (MHC)
- India in Film: Hollywood, Bollywood, Mollywood (AC)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Tuition fees per semester: $25,500
Message the school
About this institute
Hampshire College is a small liberal arts college located in Amherst, Massachusetts that has been at the forefront of progressive higher education in the United States for over 50 years. Every Hampshire student designs a customized program of study in...
Want to know more about Film, Video, and Photography? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!