About this program
MA / MSc Virtual & Augmented Reality
Immersive experiences, including virtual and augmented reality, are the most exciting new mediums to emerge in the 21st century.
They can transport you to a new world that feels as real as the physicalone around you, creating a totally unique experience for the user. On this course, youll be working on a once in a lifetime challenge: shaping and pioneering a medium thats already having a major impact on our society.
Why studyMA/MSc Virtual and Augmented Reality at Goldsmiths?
- You'll have the chance to choose between two distinct pathways, depending on your interests. These are the3D Graphics and User Experience Pathway and the Programming and Computer Science Pathway.
- Youll be creating virtual and augmented reality that is informed by both the technology and psychology of the medium, so you can create powerful experiences that make the most of its distinctive features.
- This technology is used in a huge variety of industries including medicine, advertising, journalism and mental health therapy. When you graduate youll have the skills to work in these industries, as well as in more traditional gaming and film roles.
- We treat virtual reality and augmented reality as interlinking technologies youll be working in both areas and the various types of Mixed Reality that combine the two. You can also learn other areas of computing that can be applied to Virtual and Augmented Reality such as data visualisation, interactive art, games technology, machine learning and AI.
- As well as being taught by leading experts in VR/AR experience, youll benefit from our links to an extensive network of VR companies. We regularly welcome them to campus to deliver talks.
- We offer a work placement programme that will help kick start your VR career.
- Youll have access to a dedicated V&AR lab. The facilities will be updated each year to keep up with technology but they currently include a range of high-end head mounted displays including Oculus Rift, HTC VIVE Pro and Windows MR, each with high end graphics PCs. Youll also have access to mobile VR set ups (Oculus GO) and a professional motion capture suite which is synchronised with an HTC VIVE for full body immersive experiences.
- Our general computing facilities include the HatchLab, our maker space that can be used for, among other things, fabricating custom VR input or output devices.
- We also offer an abridged online version of this course which you can try before registering for the full-time postgraduate course.Find out more on Coursera.
you should have (or expect to be awarded) an undergraduate degree of at least upper second class standard in a relevant/related subject.
You might also be considered for some programmes if you arent a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
We accept a wide range of international qualifications. Find out more aboutthe qualifications we accept from around the world.
If English isnt your first language, you will need an IELTS score (orequivalent English language qualification) of6.5 with a 6.0 in writingto study this programme. If you need assistance with your English language, we offer a range ofcourses that can help prepare you for postgraduate-level study.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Introduction to Virtual Reality
- Introduction to Programming for Games
- Mixed Realities
- Advanced Topics in Virtual and Augmented Reality
Compulsory modules (3D graphics and UX pathway)
- Introduction to Modelling and Animation
- Compulsory modules (programming and computer science pathway)
- Mathematics & Graphics for Games 1
- Advanced Modelling and Animation
- Advanced Programming for Games
- Game Design and Games Analytics
- History of Computer Games, Art and Animation
- Programming for Game Engines
- AI for Games
- Workshops in Creative Coding 1
- Workshops in Creative Coding 2
- Data and Machine Learning for Artistic Practice
- Approaches to Play 1
- Approaches to Play 2
- Physical Computing 1
- Data Visualisation and the Web
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Local students - full-time:£10870
- Local students - part-time: £5435
- International students - full-time: £16120
his programme will enable you to take on a creative or technical role in Virtual and Augmented Reality, for example a programmer, artist or user experience designer. It would prepare you to be an indie creator, working independently or in small teams or a member of a larger “AAA” team.
The knowledge gained would also help in other roles associated with the V&AR industry such as producer or manager.
Virtual and Augmented Reality is being applied in a very wide range of domains and industries: games, film, medicine, journalism, advertising, education, engineering and many other industries. Your expertise in the medium will open up jobs in this area and many more. Our industry advisory board helps us ensure that the content you learn will stay relevant to the needs of an ever changing workplace.
You may also consider going in to an academic career. This degree will put you in a good position to apply for one of our PhD Studentships, which can lead to PhD study.
Message the school
About this institute
Goldsmiths, University of London
With an academic legacy dating back to 1891, Goldsmiths has a rich heritage in the arts and creative disciplines and offers degrees in subjects from the humanities and social sciences to computing and law. Students at Goldsmiths are encouraged to...
Why study at Goldsmiths, University of London
At Goldsmiths we're constantly exploring, questioning and reshaping the world. You can challenge yourself through our innovative degrees and world-leading academics that will inspire you to see the world differently.
At Goldsmiths you’ll change how you think and be inspired to develop fresh ideas and new approaches to your studies. We champion degrees that provoke thought and stretch the imagination. That’s why so many of our former students are leading the way in reshaping the sociocultural landscape on a global scale.
Want to know more about MA / MSc Virtual & Augmented Reality? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!