About this program
MA Dance MovementPsychotherapy
This programme provides you with a broad understanding of the theories and practices of dance movement therapy necessary for safe and effective clinical work, and enables you to practise as a dance movement therapist.
This programme is accredited by the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy.
Your learning will be underpinned by the principles and practices of psychodynamic psychotherapy within the social, political and multicultural context of mental health care and educational settings. Study is informed by contemporary dance practice, Laban Movement Analysis (LMA) and somatic bodywork.
Through theoretical studies, movement observation studies, dance practice workshops, clinical work and experiential learning, you integrate cognitive understanding and practical experience with a developing awareness of self and other.
The nature of the therapeutic relationship is explored in depth through movement and dance and you have the opportunity to put your learning into practice through at least 90 days of supervised placements. This gives you the opportunity to relate your practical experience to your theoretical studies.
You'll beencouraged to develop your own dance/movement practice and to situate your work in relation to your development as a therapist, to contemporary dance and movement practice. You're required to be in personal therapy throughout the programme (please note that this is at your own cost).
You should have:
- an undergraduate degree of at least second class standard in a relevant/related subject or, if you arent a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
- A minimum of two years experience in dance and/or movement forms
- experience of paid or voluntary work in health, social, education or community services
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Theory and Practice of Dance Movement Psychotherapy 1
- Experiential Learning 1
- Clinical Placement 1
- Theory and Practice of Dance Movement Psychotherapy 2
- Experiential Learning 2
- Clinical Placement 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Local students - full-time: £8990
- Local students - part-time: £5995
- International students - full-time: £19660
- Mainstream, special and therapeutic schools.
- Pupil referral units
- Organisations for adoption and fostering
- Children and adults in not-for-profit organisations
- Drugs intervention team
- Addictions service
- Dance for Parkinsons
- Community, creative and therapeutic dance for children and adults
- Dance therapy and mindfulness based approaches
- Honorary DMP contract NHS Trust
- Sessional DMP work for C.I.C Dance and Dementia.
- Creative Therapist, NHS Foundation Trust, CAMHS Specialist Intervention Team
- Lecturing (e.g. UEL on use of the body in the counselling/therapy relationship
- PhD study
Message the school
About this institute
Goldsmiths, University of London
With an academic legacy dating back to 1891, Goldsmiths has a rich heritage in the arts and creative disciplines and offers degrees in subjects from the humanities and social sciences to computing and law. Students at Goldsmiths are encouraged to...
Why study at Goldsmiths, University of London
At Goldsmiths we're constantly exploring, questioning and reshaping the world. You can challenge yourself through our innovative degrees and world-leading academics that will inspire you to see the world differently.
At Goldsmiths you’ll change how you think and be inspired to develop fresh ideas and new approaches to your studies. We champion degrees that provoke thought and stretch the imagination. That’s why so many of our former students are leading the way in reshaping the sociocultural landscape on a global scale.
Want to know more about MA Dance Movement Psychotherapy? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!