About this program
MA Art Psychotherapy
This programme will provide you with a broad understanding of the theories and practices of art psychotherapy necessary for safe and effective clinical work.
Graduates from this degree are eligible to apply for registration with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC).
The Masters enables you to practice as an art therapist in the NHS, Social Services, and educational establishments, and to become a practitioner registered with the British Association of Art Therapists.
Your learning is underpinned by the principles and practices of psychodynamic psychotherapy practised within the context of mental health care, and informed by contemporary art practice.
Via theoretical studies, clinical work and experiential learning you will integrate cognitive understanding and practical experience with a developing awareness of self and other. The nature of the therapeutic relationship between client, their artwork, and the art therapist is explored, and you have the opportunity to put your learning into practice through two 60-day placements which are supervised and supported in-depth.
- at least one year's full-time, or the equivalent in part-time hours, 1,500 hours relevant work experience. Find out more about the work experience requirements. Please also complete the STaCS work experience form (Word) to indicate the hours you have worked.
- an undergraduate degree of at least second class standard in visual arts/design, or in a related/relevant area, or a professional qualification.
- an enhanced disclosure certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service. There is a fee to apply for a disclosure certificate. Further information about payment is sent with the offer of a place.
- to disclose any criminal record, disciplinary record, significant periods of time off work and significant health problems in writing after interview
We accept a wide range of international qualifications. Find out more about the qualifications we accept from around the world.
If English isn’t your first language, you will need an IELTS score (or equivalent English language qualification) of 7.0 with a 7.0 in writing and no element lower than 6.5 to study this programme. If you need assistance with your English language, we offer a range of courses that can help prepare you for postgraduate-level study.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Theory and Practice of Art Psychotherapy 1
- Experiential Learning 1
- Clinical Placement 1
- Theory and Practice of Art Psychotherapy 2
- Experiential Learning 2
- Clinical Placement 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Local students - full-time: £8990
- Local students - part-time: £5995
- International students - full-time: £19660
Completion of the programme provides eligibility for the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) registration as an art psychotherapist.
Our graduates are invariably seen as offering a valuable and unique service to their clients and to the multidisciplinary teams in which they work – graduates have gone on to practice as art psychotherapists in the NHS, social services and in the education sector.
Message the school
About this institute
Goldsmiths, University of London
With an academic legacy dating back to 1891, Goldsmiths has a rich heritage in the arts and creative disciplines and offers degrees in subjects from the humanities and social sciences to computing and law. Students at Goldsmiths are encouraged to...
Why study at Goldsmiths, University of London
At Goldsmiths we're constantly exploring, questioning and reshaping the world. You can challenge yourself through our innovative degrees and world-leading academics that will inspire you to see the world differently.
At Goldsmiths you’ll change how you think and be inspired to develop fresh ideas and new approaches to your studies. We champion degrees that provoke thought and stretch the imagination. That’s why so many of our former students are leading the way in reshaping the sociocultural landscape on a global scale.
Want to know more about MA Art Psychotherapy? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!