About this program
Art and Design Fundamentals
Students acquire a solid foundation in art and design, and assess which area of the visual arts fits best with their individual proficiencies and interests. Effective research, problem-solving, and conceptualization skills are developed to prepare them for future studies in art and design. The breadth of hands-on studio art courses available provides an opportunity to learn new skills and techniques, while refining existing ones. Students develop a portfolio of their work, which will be valuable when applying to specialized art or design programs.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
Mature students, non-secondary school applicants (19 years or older), and home school applicants may also be considered for admission. Eligibility may be met by applicants who have taken equivalent courses, upgrading, completed their GED, and equivalency testing.
Applicants who have taken courses from a recognized and accredited post-secondary institution and/or have relevant life/learning experience may also be considered for admission.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Ideas and Imagery
- Design Fundamentals
- Colour and Design
- Fundamentals of Drawing
- Understanding Art and Design
Select 1 course from the communications list during registration.
Program Option Courses
Select 5 courses from the available list during registration.
General Education Course
Select 1 course from the general education list during registration.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Length: 2 Semesters
For more information about tuition fees, please contact the University.
Credential: Ontario College Certificate
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- apply the elements and principles of design to create effective compositions;
- utilize a variety of presentation skills and media to create portfolios as well as displays of work in both public and private venues;
- use the design process to execute two and three-dimensional design projects from concept to finished work using a wide range of materials, processes, and techniques;
- employ vocabulary specific to design and visual art to critique a work of art;
- use the design process to express original and imaginative concepts in a variety of media;
- analyze a work of art with an appreciation for the context in which it was made;
- articulate art concepts related to the history of art and the role of art in society;
- apply basic entrepreneurial principles and strategies to the art and design environment;
- employ environmentally sustainable design practices such as sourcing products locally/ethically and reducing the environmental footprint when solving design problems;
- observe and adhere to protocols and procedures for health and safety in the art and design studio environment.
Graduates are prepared to enter specific art and design diploma programs by developing the fundamental skills and knowledge that form the foundation for future studies. They are able to make informed choices about their future career path. Past graduates of the program have gone on to undertake a wide variety of art and design related studies.
Message the school
About this institute
Established in 1967, Georgian College (Canada) is a public college with 125+ market-driven programs offered to over 13,000 full time students including about 4,500 international students from 60 countries. Its 100-acre flagship campus, located in Barrie, is just an hour...
Want to know more about Art and Design Fundamentals? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!