Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Master ChoreographyFontys School of Fine & Performing Arts
This part time 2 year innovative Joint Degree Master Choreography is run jointly by Codarts University of the Arts in Rotterdam and Fontys School of Fine and Performing Arts in Tilburg. The programme is designed to support experienced movement makers from a variety of fields while they carry out research into questions initiating from their current practice. The course occurs within a learning environment that exposes students to a broad range of approaches, movement disciplines and creative domains while supporting them in retaining connections with their own working field. Students are cocreators of the course and will be responsible for shaping the content of particular assignments and for creating a productive learning cohort with their peers. The course is carried out in 2 week intensives that take place 3 times a year at either the campus of Codarts in Rotterdam or Fontys in Tilburg, both of which have full dance, theoretical and circus facilities.
"This innovative, cocreated jointdegree programme supports experienced designers of movement in their theoretical and artistic research to develop their personal vision on dance."
3 most important selling points:
- Jointdegree in cooperation with Codarts University of the Arts in Rotterdam and Fontys School of Fine and Performing Arts in Tilburg.
- Experienced movement makers from a variety of fields
- The course is carried out in 2 week intensives that take place 3 times a year at either the campus of Codarts in Rotterdam or Fontys in Tilburg
Candidates that will be considered for this masters should meet the following criteria:
- An academic background that is equivalent to an arts college or university degree, at least 5 years professional experience and evidence of creative output.
- Or a dance/circus education from an internationally recognized academy, at least 5 years professional experience and evidence of creative output at a professional level.
- In some cases dance education and choreographic experience may be judged using different criteria in order to allow for a broad spectrum of students. Equivalency will be determined by the institutions of Codarts and Fontys once the applicant has been short listed. If you are not sure about you whether you might be eligible for the course advice can be requested from the course team.
- International students must be able to pass an English language proficiency test.
- The student has an ongoing relationship with an institution or person in the working field that can provide them with studio resources (outside of the intensives), feedback and if possible the opportunity to present their final production in a discipline appropriate public forum.
- This is something that the course team can help you to find if you do not already have an idea who or where this could be.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Year 1 has an internally directed focus as students are guided by teachers, coaches and guest teachers in developing their approach to the following:
- The potential trajectories and outcomes of artistic research.
- Taking a critical perspective on their own practices and disciplines with particular emphasis on the potential of co-creation.
- Testing potential questions, thinking creatively about modes of communication and generating movement based responses.
- Engaging with current theoretical, technological and design based perspectives.
- Entering into a productive discourse about their work.
Year 2 has an externally directed focus and students test the acquired knowledge while learning about, and creating generative responses to, alternative working contexts. At the end of the program the student will produce a final work that will be presented in a public context and a supporting thesis that documents their research process and places it within an appropriate theoretical or artistic context.
Emphasis in Year 2 is placed on:
- The ability to engage in wider discourses.
- Gaining an enriched knowledge of contexts beyond their own discipline and the challenges, strategies and potential of creative work within those contexts.
- Developing a repertoire of individual creative strategies and the ability to reflect on and generate ‘choreography’ related to these strategies.
EEA students: EUR 1.972
Non-EU/EEA students: EUR 6.275
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
About this institute
Fontys School of Fine & Performing Arts
Fontys School of Fine & Performing Arts is the perfect place for those creative minds who want to turn the world around. Our institute is part of Fontys University of Applied Science and located in Tilburg, the Netherlands. A city...
Want to know more about Master Choreography? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...