Indie Game Development MA (Online)Falmouth University
Indie Game Development MA (Online)
All available course dates
Indie Game Development MA (online)
On this course you’ll analyse the principles of the creative process, from ideation and design through to delivery and dissemination. You’ll integrate design tools, programming languages, game engines, as well as specialist middleware and frameworks into your game development practice. You’ll also examine business models used by indie games studios to explore your own startup opportunities. If you already have a business idea, our mentors will help you get it off the ground.
- Apply the principles of design and creativity to generate fun and playful experiences
- Learn to use industry-standard platforms for making games and adapt to their technical constraints
- Apply primary and secondary research methods drawn from game studies and the broader design science literature
- Use methods from business and analytics to better understand how people engage with games and game companies
- Adopt both technical and arts perspectives as part of a design thinking process to deliver novel games
- Collaborate across disciplinary boundaries, an increasingly important skill in the games industry
- Practice game design across a range of application domains, including gamification and serious games
- Keep and control the Intellectual Property (IP) of any games you produce
Chat live with students from Falmouth University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Falmouth University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
An honours degree or Level 6 equivalent qualification is desirable. However, candidates without a degree or formal qualification are still encouraged to apply. If you'd like to discuss our entry requirements, speak to an advisor.
For more information regarding equivalent international qualifications and Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) either request information with our easy online form, or read about it on our apply page.
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to demonstrate English language skills that are sufficiently developed for successful completion of your studies. We accept a range of recognised English language qualifications that are equivalent to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic minimum score of 6.5 overall, with a minimum of 6.0 in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Indie Game Development MA is comprised of five modules, four 30-credit modules and one 60-credit project (180 credits in total). The modules have been specifically designed to be studied in a non-linear order. You'll begin the course with Module 1 and end the course with your Final Major Project (MA only). The order in which you'll study modules 2-4 will depend on when you begin the course.
- Module 1. Development Practice
- Module 2. Game Development
- Module 3. Co-creative Design and Development Practice
- Module 4. Indie Game Start-Up
- Final Major Project (MA only)
Scholarships & funding
Scholarships and funding are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fees for the academic year 2021-22 for new online students from September 2021 onwards:
- MA / MSc course, 2 years part-time: £11,300 total fee (incl. acceptance fee)
- PGDip course: £7,600 total fee (incl. acceptance fee)
What you’ll learn
Throughout this course, you'll learn how to produce original and creatively distinguished games based on your own intellectual property. You'll gain the ability to critically reflect upon and evaluate working methods and find the most effective ways to collaborate on projects. You'll also gain key professional skills in pitching your ideas; communicating concepts and presenting artefacts visually with clarity and enthusiasm.
Further study opportunities include:
What our graduates do
Our graduates have worked as:
- Game developers at companies such as MediaTonic, Firesprite, Creative Assembly, Project Gamechanger and Rare
- Creative AI specialists at companies including Ultrahaptics, Solutionpath and Bewsign
- Researchers and developers at companies such as Facebook
- Further study at doctoral-level in artificial intelligence and/or data science, sponsored by the likes of Google
Our graduates have a track record of producing successful indie games. Published titles include: Get Packed by Moonshine Studio, Soria by Polargryph, SAI by Studio Mutiny, RoBoats by Animal Puree, Kick Your Astronaut by SquirrelSoft and Karate Krab by Liquid Sapling. Visit Our Games page to find a selection of real games that Falmouth students have collaborated on.
About this institute
For more than 100 years, Falmouth University has been a hub of creative thinking and design innovation. Today, our portfolio of undergraduate and postgraduate courses represents the breadth of the Creative Industries, from art, design and fashion, to gaming, music...
Want to know more about Indie Game Development MA (Online)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...