Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
MA in Oral History and Contemporary History
The two-year, part-time MA Study Program in Oral History and Contemporary History is intended for students interested in contemporary European history, in interviewing methodologies and in interpretative methods. Its main aim is to train students to conduct research through creating and analyzing interviews and developing fieldwork projects to address those historical and contemporary issues that require interdisciplinary investigation.
The MA program is divided into two sections, the first covers contemporary (Czech and international) history and events, the second is methodological and focuses on various interviewing techniques through which we can study contemporary history. It binds together two general approaches of studying history, the macro, and micro approaches, and enables a thorough understanding of recent events in history.
- Submit a motivation letter, structured CV (curriculum vitae) and an academic paper in English before the application deadline. The paper should be no less than 15 pages in length and prove your knowledge, skills, and talent for study in the program for which you are applying. The paper can be your defended bachelor’s thesis or its summary, an article published in an academic journal or any new essay that you choose to represent you and your academic knowledge.
- Submit a notarized copy of your bachelor's or master's graduation certificate. If you graduated outside the Czech Republic, then you must submit an official “nostrification” document validating your foreign education.
For more information, please visit the Faculty website, fhs.cuni.cz.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Tuition Fee: 2000€ year.
The program is focused on the study of history and its methodologies; it is also meant to provide its students with overarching knowledge of Czech, Czechoslovak, and world history. The program offers an overview of various methodological approaches – beside the oral history tradition - which it compares and reflects critically. These include, among others: archival research; statistical research (e.g. information of demographic/economic nature, public opinion polls); pop culture research (e.g. films, radio broadcast recordings; etc.); research of media and literature; etc. The program also provides an interdisciplinary view of history from the perspectives of political theory and international relations; political philosophy; economic and social history; or cultural history; and others.
About this institute
Faculty of Humanities, Charles University
The Faculty of Humanities is the youngest Faculty under the renowned Charles University located in Prague, Czech Republic, gaining full academic autonomy in 2000. As such, it combines in itself the old and famous tradition of Charles University with modern...
Why study at Faculty of Humanities, Charles University
- A pioneer since its inception, the Faculty was among the first at Charles University to adopt the Bologna Accords.
- Utilizes advances in e-learning and academic tracking technologies to allow distance learning for both traditional and non-traditional students, increased student-teacher communication.
- Highly supportive of student mobility and encourages participation in various types of exchanges (the ERASMUS+ exchange programme, summer school programmes, bilateral agreements at the University as well as school level, etc.) leading to high student diversity.
- Diversity is underscored by our significant group of foreign-language full-time students which come from all over the world and contribute to the diverse environment.
- Under the leadership of Dean Professor Jan Sokol, Ph.D (former education minister and nominated candidate for the presidency of the Czech Republic in 2003), the school has developed several progressive programs answering important Faculty developmental needs.
- Developments in the Bachelor’s Programme in Liberal Arts and Humanities offering students unprecedented choice in course selection, in both theoretical and applied arts of philosophy, history, social sciences, and languages.
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews
Want to know more about MA in Oral History and Contemporary History? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Gran Canaria, Spain
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain