Governance of Migration and Diversity (Public Administration/Sociology)
The one-year master programme Governance of Migration and Diversity' (GMD) integrates knowledge from various disciplines with a focus on how public and private organisations can respond to the opportunities offered and the challenges posed by migration and diversity. It brings together history, sociology, politics, international development and urban design as a foundation for a better understanding of the governance of migration and diversity.
About the master programme
How to reconstruct a city centre? What are the opportunities for the management of migration flows and how to prevent discrimination and promote interaction and cohesion in culturally diverse societies?
In our globalised and complex network society these urgent questions need to be answered. In order to do this, experts who demonstrate analytical skills, connective leadership, entrepreneurial attitudes and a strong ethical compass to achieve innovative solutions for societal problems are needed. The master track in Public Administration at Erasmus University Rotterdam focuses on the research, analysis and management of societal issues.
Migration and diversity are key factors in some of the most fundamental transformations of society today. These transformations do not merely involve migrants. Moreover, they have an impact on society at large. Migration and diversity have become highly politicised issues that play an important role in contemporary politics in many countries. These issues influence many different aspects of society, such as education, housing, labour and international relations.
You are eligible for admission to the program if you have obtained a relevant Bachelor’s or undergraduate degree from a research university in the following fields of studies: Public Administration / Sociology / European Studies / International Relations / Social Geography / Liberal Arts
A good command of English is essential. You might be exempted from presenting the proof of English proficiency, please check our website for all of the exceptions.
In addition to the credentials mentioned above, the Admissions Board will also take into account your academic performance, i.e. your grades. Please note that there is no minimum score or average grade mentioned; your application will be assessed against the pool of applicants of the given year.
You may choose to provide the Admissions Board with additional information about yourself by uploading additional documents that you think might contribute to your profile. An example of such documents could be motivation and/ or reference letter.
If you would like to know more, please send an information request or click on the institute's web page.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The master programme Governance of Migration and Diversity provides state-of-the-art courses and training given by dedicated scholars from five academic disciplines. During classes interaction amongst students and between students, and professors, is stimulated.
Courses are provided by five different departments belonging to one of the three universities: History at Leiden University, Architecture and the Built Environment at Delft University of Technology and Sociology, Public Administration and the International Institute of Social Studies at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Why choose this master programme?
- Knowledge which will help you to address governance issues related to migration and diversity from a multidisciplinary perspective;
- A unique interdisciplinary programme, with courses taught by leading scholars from three universities and five academic disciplines;
- A focus on policies, politics and governance at an international, national and local level;
- Education which has a direct link to contemporary issues. Students are trained to contribute to the governance of migration and diversity.
- Top level education. The Public Administration programme at Erasmus University is ranked number 2 in the Shanghai Ranking 209Opens external.
Scholarships & funding
There are scholarships and grants for two groups:
1. Students from abroad, who wish to study at EUR or are already doing so;
2. Students studying at EUR, wishing to go abroad for a while during or after their current study program.
Request information to learn more about the available scholarship opportunities and to find out if you qualify.
- €2,168 (Statutory fee: Dutch / EEA students)
- €12,300 (Institutional fee: Dutch / EEA students)
- €15,500 (Institutional fee: non-EEA students)
Studying in a foreign country can be very expensive. Fortunately, the Dutch government subsidizes higher education which leads to lower tuition fees for students with a nationality from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA). In recent years, more and more students from outside the EEA have decided to study in the Netherlands, resulting in a growing demand for academic scholarships.
After the completion of this specialisation you will be able to identify and analyse social issues related to migration and diversity. Furthermore, you are able to provide advice on these problems.
During this master programme you will:
- Develop a multidisciplinary understanding of migration and diversity from various perspectives, including history, development studies, sociology, public administration and urbanism;
- Acquire a methodological understanding in order to study migration and diversity;
- Learn to better understand the governance implications of migration and diversity at the local (urban), regional, national as well as European and international level;
- Obtain professional skills in terms of designing strategies for the management of migration and diversity at the policy level.
Graduates of this specialisation will be suitable candidates for positions in governmental organisations (policymakers, policy advisors, lobbyists) and organisations in civil society (e.g. unions, political parties, research institutes) on the local, national or international level.
For example our graduates currently work as e.g. integration advisors at local governments or as project assistants at IOM.
About this institute
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB) is home to a vast diversity of study programs and scientific disciplines: Public Administration, Pedagogical Sciences, Psychology and Sociology. In addition, the Erasmus University College, IHS, and two research institutes RISBO and...
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews.
You may also like...