Arts, Culture and SocietyErasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
Arts, Culture and Society
The Master’s program Art, Culture & Society prepares you for a vital role in all areas of the arts and culture sector, from theatre to museums to film and festivals, allowing you to take your degree not only across artistic fields, but around the globe. You don’t sell the tickets, you run the show!
Five reasons to choose Arts, Culture & Society at the EUR
- The programme employs an international approach that integrates present-day modes of production, distribution and consumption of arts and culture beyond and across national cultural boundaries.
- You are trained to envision new possibilities and establish new models for the organization of arts and culture using cutting-edge insights on policy, marketing, audiences and education.
- You are taught the skills to advise and assist cultural organizations with their knowledge of marketing and understanding of public tastes and motivations.
- According to Times Higher Education, EUR is one of the 200 most international universities of the world. This means encountering lecturers and students from all over the world.
- Studying in Rotterdam means studying in a city with many museums, music- and film festivals. Hence, the ideal city to build a professional network.
- At least a Bachelor's degree from a recognized Dutch university programme with a good overall result, or an equivalent qualification from an international institution.
(Students who have not yet obtained their degree may already apply if they expect to graduate before starting with this Master).
- Training in arts and culture studies, combined with sociology or another relevant social science background such as political or organizational science, marketing, or didactics, at university level.
- Academic training in empirical research methods is required.
- We are also looking for a sustained and well-documented interest in the cultural sector, as evidenced by academic training or practical experience.
For more information about admission requirements, please refer to the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
In this master, you will study how the international world of art and culture operates.
Entrepreneurial innovation. Creative, critical analysis. Engagement and exploration. Such are the indispensable attributes of professionals in the modern arts and culture sector. As both high art and popular culture are redefining their respective, and increasingly concomitant, role in society. Artists, producers and industries are repositioning and re-marketing themselves in a culture where leisure is an emergent commodity within an intensely competitive and changing market.
The Master’s program prepares you for a vital role in all areas of the arts and culture sector, from theatre to museums to film and festivals.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
About this institute
Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
The Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC) is one of the schools of the Erasmus University Rotterdam. ESHCC hosts the departments of History, Arts and Culture Studies, and Media & Communication. ESHCC offers high-quality education, based on academic...
Want to know more about Arts, Culture and Society? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.