Are you fascinated by the dynamics of modern economies where entire new industries are being created and existing ones constantly require renewal or are made obsolete? Do you want to understand the role of companies such as Google, Tesla and Uber for such industry dynamics? Do you want to research and stimulate these dynamic processes and contribute to policy formulation? Do you want to be part of business start-ups or help companies anticipate, thrive, and innovate?
This specialisation recognises that industries and economies constantly change, driven by technological innovations and shifting customer preferences for example. It acknowledges that entrepreneurship, innovation and strategic firm decisions are imperative to this dynamic process of transformation of world industry. You will focus on how entrepreneurs, firms and policy makers can initiate and benefit from economic changes.
The Strategy Economics programme provides you with a powerful set of skills, tools and models to make smart strategic decisions and become a true change maker. Through practical application and rigorous study of theories you will develop solid analytical and research skills to address questions like:
- What is the role of new and established firms (micro and large) for the emergence and growth of industries?
- What determines market entry and exit of firms?
- How do firm strategies (for example R&D investments, foreign direct investments, knowledge acquisition, collaboration and differential pricing) affect industry evolution?
- How does the external industry environment (for example extent of competition, availability of skilled employees and other resources) affect entrepreneurship and firm strategy?
- Why and how do policy makers stimulate firm behaviour such as job growth, innovation, foreign direct investments and exports?
In addition, the programme enables you to quantitatively and empirically analyse real-life problems in the field and interpret and present findings in a clear and concise way.
Is this the right choice for you?
Are you an original thinker with proactive qualities? Do economic dynamics, change and innovation excite you? Does the combination of being right where the action is and the quantitative approach towards analysing firm and industry dynamics appeal to you? Then Strategy Economics is your programme.
To do well in this programme, it helps if you have:
- An interest in firms and entrepreneurs as drivers of economic change
- Affinity with a quantitative approach/ analysis.
Why study Strategy Economics in Rotterdam?
Rotterdam is a vibrant, multicultural city that is at the forefront of exciting developments in industry, logistics, science, culture and architecture. Here you can choose a programme that is predominantly built on the idea that entrepreneurship and innovation are the things that make people, firms and industries successful. You will focus on phenomena like new technologies, shifting consumer preferences, economic crises and innovation that pose constant challenges and opportunities. This gives you a deep understanding of the underlying causes of the emergence, development and growth of industries.
In short: a unique programme in the heart of society.
Study Strategy Economics for:
- The only European master programme combining the economics view with entrepreneurship and strategy
- A very strong student association and entrepreneurship centre, providing numerous extracurricular activities
- A young, active and modern group of professors
- A challenging curriculum with a broad range of electives, giving you the analytical research skills and strategic mind-set to suit today’s dynamic economic environment.
- Your degree has to be equivalent to our bachelor program prior to the corresponding master program. The examination board decides whether your obtained bachelor's degree is sufficient for admission to a pre-master program. In any case, the examination board carefully reviews each application. Should your previous education not be sufficient for admission to a master’s degree program the examination board will always review your application for possible admittance for a pre-master program instead.
- All programs are taught from a strong quantitative approach. A solid background in mathematics and statistics is a necessity for every program. Your background in mathematics and statistics has to show from your university transcript.
- Prospective students must show proficiency in the English language and demonstrate this by means of an internet or computer based, Academic TOEFL or Academic IELTS Test Score Report, taken no longer than 2 years before application.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Our programme is motivated by the insight that economies are constantly changing: innovation and entrepreneurship are at the heart of competitive advantage and economic growth in the modern world. The programme equips you with the analytical tools that are necessary for making the right decisions in this highly dynamic environment. That includes a good knowledge of relevant economic theories as well as skills for carrying out independent empirical research. You will be provided with quantitative skills, needed to analyse the strategic behaviour of entrepreneurs and firms and the economic impact of such strategic behavior.
The master’s specialisation consists of core courses, electives, seminars, and a master's thesis distributed over five blocks of eight weeks. The core courses which you take in block 1 represent the fundamental paradigms of the master’s specialisation. Students focus on a broad range of theories and topics and learn the quantitative skills that are essential for analysing strategic decision making such as investments in advertising and innovation. The core courses provide a solid background for the seminars of the second and third block.
The electives in block 4 represent a choice of supplementary but fascinating academic views from the world of strategy economics. The emphasis is on corporate innovation and venture capital, sustainability and innovation, and on firm governance and vertical integration.
The last block is devoted to the master’s thesis, which is written individually under close supervision by one of our academic staff members.
- EU: EUR 2.143
- Non-EU: 15.200
Research master programs
- EU: 2.143
- Non-EU: 12.000 - 15.800
Studying in a foreign country can be very expensive. Fortunately, the Dutch government subsidizes higher education which leads to lower tuition fees for students with a nationality from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA). In recent years, more and more students from outside the EEA have decided to study in the Netherlands, resulting in a growing demand for academic scholarships. Below you can find the few scholarships that might be applicable to you.
This programme is developed for excellent Chinese students who would like to study in the Netherlands. Please visit China CSC and Nuffic for more information about requirements and the value of the grant.
Erasmus Education Fund
Every academic year, the Erasmus Education Fund (EEF) supports several students with a scholarship of 3000 euro's per year. The EEF is only for excellent students who need provable financial support. Students may apply by following the application procedure for the EEF.
Erasmus School of Economics Student Waiver for excellent students from non-EEA countries
The Erasmus School of Economics has created a separate fund to support excellent students. The maximum award of the waiver consists of a tuition fee waiver for the year 2016-2017. Resulting in a tuition fee equal to the statutory fee. Current or prospective students who are awarded this waiver will therefore not themselves directly receive a sum of money.
Holland Scholarship Erasmus University
The Holland Scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences. The scholarship is meant for international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who want to do their bachelor’s or master’s in Holland. The scholarship amounts to €5,000.
This scholarship is for American citizens who would like to study in the Netherlands. When you are granted this scholarship you can receive 1050 euro for nine months from which you can cover tuition fee, living costs and housing. For more information about this scholarship, please visit the website of Fullbright.
StuNed is a program for mid-career professionals from Indonesia willing to study in the Netherlands. There are different requirements for students who would like to obtain a Master’s degree or just follow courses for a short period.
This programme is also designed for mid-career professionals who would like to extend their experience with studying in the Netherlands. Please carefully read the requirements and the application procedure of the NFP program.
Students from Latin America can search for available scholarships at Fundacionbeca. An institution providing scholarships for Latin American students who would like to study abroad.
For students from Chile, you can have a look at the website of Becas Chile for available scholarships for Chilean students who would like to study in the Netherlands.
About this institute
Erasmus School of Economics is one of the world’s leading academic institutions. The school has a long-standing tradition of high-quality education and research. The best Erasmus graduates have made outstanding contributions to science, government, and business. Based in Rotterdam, the...
Want to know more about MSc in Economics and Business (Strategy Economics)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...