Are you interested in youth, families and schools with multiple and complex urban problems? Become a policy-maker, consultant or researcher by enrolling in the Master’s program in Educational Sciences.
During this program you will learn about innovation in education, the paramount role of assessment and testing and examine which methods are effective for children in urban schools and classrooms with diverse student populations. This specialisation includes modules in which current scientific theories on the effectiveness of both teaching methods and schools are discussed.
The specialisation Educational Sciences addresses the main issues that are currently relevant in education: educational innovations, assessment and testing and the growing diversity in pupils’ backgrounds. The starting point in our program is the idea that successful solutions are always based on analyses at the micro level (which is in this case the pupil), the meso level (which applies to the learning environment and the school) and the macro level (referring to societal trends and educational policy). The program uses cases and issues from practice which will be solved in small groups.
You will deepen your research skills through an advanced module in methodology and statistics. This will prepare you for your internship, your research project on the basis of which you will write your Master's thesis, and eventually your career.
You are eligible for admission to the programme if you have obtained a relevant Bachelor’s or undergraduate degree from a research university in the following fields of studies:
- Child development;
- Students with a Bachelor’s in other related fields of social and/or behavioural sciences may also be eligible to apply if they have a well-balanced combination of various credentials.
Considering the different understanding and treatment of pedagogy-related concepts and in attempt to provide an indication of the required background, a potential candidate is expected to have obtained:
- At least 10 ECTS in courses in statistics / advanced research methodology and at least basic SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) skills. You are expected to be familiar with the following statistical techniques (and be able to apply them in SPSS): descriptive statistics, correlation, hypothesis testing, between-subjects versus within-subjects designs, multiple regression, 1-factor and 2-factor ANOVA, repeated measures-ANOVA, MANOVA, GLM, psychometrics, non-parametric testing.
- at least 15 ECTS in courses related to education, pedagogy or child development – depending on your choice of specialisation/ track;
- ethical and professional knowledge and skills.
A good command of English is essential. You might be exempted from presenting the proof of English proficiency if:
- You are a native speaker of English (i.e. a national of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the United States of America) and you have obtained a diploma of secondary education in English for at least 2,5 years in one of the above countries and/or
- You have obtained a diploma of International Baccalaureate (valid for 5 years) and/or
- You have obtained your diploma of higher education in English (the entire programme) in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the United States of America.
- We usually deem the level of English Bachelor programmes at West European or Scandinavian universities sufficient for exemption as well.
- Please mind that in case you believe that you qualify for exemption you need to present a proof thereof. If you have obtained your diploma of higher education in English we need to see a written proof of it in the form of either a passage in the diploma, grade list, or a letter from the university stating that the language of instruction was English for the entire programme.
In addition to the credentials mentioned above, the Admissions Board will also take into account your academic performance, i.e. your grades. Please note that there is no minimum score or average grade mentioned; your application will be assessed against the pool of applicants of the given year.
The curriculum of each Pedagogical Sciences specialisation consists of a series of theme related courses. All the activities during this course, i.e. lectures, tutorials, practical meetings, and assignments, are specifically focused on this theme. Every course consists of a theoretical part (knowledge) and a practical part (skills).
- EU: EUR 2.083
- Non-EU: EUR 14.900
Studying in a foreign country can be very expensive. Fortunately, the Dutch government subsidizes higher education which leads to lower tuition fees for students with a nationality from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA). In recent years, more and more students from outside the EEA have decided to study in the Netherlands, resulting in a growing demand for academic scholarships.
Scholarships & funding
There are scholarships and grants for two groups:
1. Students from abroad, who wish to study at EUR or are already doing so;
2. Students studying at EUR, wishing to go abroad for a while during or after their current study program.
Request information to learn more about the available scholarship opportunities and to find out if you qualify.
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB) is home to a vast diversity of study programs and scientific disciplines: Public Administration, Pedagogical Sciences, Psychology and Sociology. In addition, the Erasmus University College, IHS, and two research institutes RISBO and...
Want to know more about Educational Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.