The Master of Arts in Counseling Program (MAC) prepares professionals in the theoretical foundations and skills necessary for advanced positions in the fields of individual, couple, and family counseling. Built on a philosophy of service, intellectual hunger, fundamental respect, social justice, and a focus on the person of the counselor, the MAC program strives to embody spirit, empathic care, intellect, and wisdom. The MAC program is characterized by personal, social, and professional transformation, liberation, and enrichment.
MAC faculty areas of interest
Anti-oppression, appreciative inquiry, access and technology, authentic leadership, collaboration, conflict as opportunity, decolonization, depth work, faith and community, indigenous wisdom, love, military families, professional identity, relational approaches to research, social change, spontaneity and creativity, subtle activism, and vulnerability.
Our work strives to embody social justice through a continuing cultivation of ethical and culturally relevant methodologies. In resonance with the values of the American Counseling Association, the National Board for Certified Counselors, accrediting organizations for counseling programs, and our Catholic Benedictine framework, we recognize the dominance of white/euro-centric norms and teach cultural humility by rejecting anti-immigrant rhetoric and action.
We affirm the self-determination of indigenous and native communities by hearing their stories and supporting decolonization. We work to deconstruct the walls of sexism and transphobia by integrating feminist and trans-valuing theories into our practice. We actively counter ageism, ableism, classism, racism and heterosexism in our communities by admitting their pervasiveness and implementing corrective actions. In the spirit of Benedictine sincere hospitality, we extend welcome to members of all faiths and to those who do not identify as having a religious membership.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Counseling and Helping Relationships
- Group Counseling
- Foundations of Couple and Family Counseling
- Professional Counseling Orientation and Ethics
- Crisis, Trauma, Violence, Abuse
- Contextual Dimensions of Couple and Family Counseling 1
- Human Growth and Development
- Impacts of Addictions
- Assessment and Testing 1
- Counseling Practicum
- Research and Program Evaluation
- Social and Cultural Diversity
- Assessment and Testing 2
- Family Structure and Family of Origin
- Practice of Couple and Family Counseling
- Career Development
- Counseling Internship 1
- Counseling Internship 2
- Applied Group Work
- Contextual Dimensions of Couple and Family Counseling 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information
Contact the institute for more information on pricing.
The MAC Program is committed to preparing highly competent counselors through contextual experiential learning and professional development, including:
- Preparing our graduates for National Certification through the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) and both WA state licenses: Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Preparing future counselors in the theoretical foundations and skills necessary for advanced positions
- Emphasizing attention and responsiveness to populations served by the MAC program, including but not limited to: couples and families; military and state positions; clinical and educational settings, chemical dependency and addiction recovery situations; and underserved populations
- Supporting commitment to the self-awareness skills essential to counseling through ongoing emphasis on developing “The Person of the Counselor”
- Supporting commitment to ethical decision making, action, and delivery of counseling services
- Cultivating contextual and discerning thinkers through a commitment to systemic thinking (contextual, relational, attuned, reflective, responsive, and rooted in evidence based and scientifically supported practice)
- At the same time, exercising full acceptance of, excellence in training in, and Benedictine hospitality for all other counseling orientations and modalities (including group therapy, individual counseling, chemical dependency and recovery support, vocational rehabilitation, school based counseling, and mental health counseling)
- Supporting commitment to cultural humility and skilled anti-oppression in counseling, in alignment with the MAC position on social justice
- Further deepening and supporting the learning community at a program level and within the university as a whole through collaboration, mentorship, discussion, modeling, curriculum integration, alumni community engagement and training opportunities
Saint Martin’s offers graduate programs in Accounting, Business, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Counseling, Education, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Higher Education and Student Affairs, Mechanical Engineering, and Teaching. Be sure to check out our 4+1 tracks offered for Accounting, Business, Computer Science and Engineering, where you can earn a bachelor’s and a master’s in five years.
About this institute
Saint Martin's University
Whether you are looking to spend a summer abroad or are interested in pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree, Saint Martin's University provides a student-centered environment that promotes the development of the whole person-intellectually, personally and spiritually. We believe the...
Why study at Saint Martin's University
Students often attend Saint Martin's because of its sense of community. Faculty know their students, staff are willing to assist in ways that make the transition to university positive. We are here to assist you in your success.
Want to know more about Counseling? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
New York City, United States of America