About this program
Textile Design BA (Hons)
This creative course covers an extensive program of study that instils the relevant knowledge, understanding and skills required to become a practising designer in a global textile market. Industry experts will help you to explore ambitious textile solutions and carry out innovative visual research.
You can specialise in one of four areas of textile design – mixed media, print, knit or weave. Mixed media focuses on creating contemporary, innovative collections of textiles and products for interiors and fashion. Printed textiles translate imagery onto textile surfaces for both fashion and interior markets and you will explore inventive use of screen printing and dyeing processes.
Constructed textiles, knit and weave, concentrate on design for fashion and interior markets. You will develop innovative collections through your use of yarn, fibres and dyeing and explore structure to its fullest extent.
You will be based in our award-winning Vijay Patel Building, which provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking, where ideas can develop and flourish for all of our art and design students. You can access industry-standard facilities within the print, knit and weave workshops which have print tables, digital print and knit machines, jacquard looms, digital sewing and embroidery machines, laser cutters and CAD packages.
Our aim is to prepare you for a career in the international textile industry, which offers countless opportunities to develop, progress and learn new skills.
Typical entry requirements
A good portfolio and normally:
- Art and Design Foundation or
- 112 points from at least 2 A ‘levels and including grade C in Art and Design or
- BTEC Extended Diploma DMM in an Art and Design related subject or
- International Baccalaureate: 26+ Points including Art and Design
Plus five GCSEs grades 9-4 including English Language or Literature at grade 4 or above.
- Pass Access with 30 Level 3 credits at Merit in Art and Design and GCSE English (Language or Literature) at grade 4 or above
We will normally require students to have had a break from full time education before undertaking the Access course.
- We also accept the BTEC First Diploma plus two GCSEs including English Language or Literature at grade 4 or above
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential. English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council accredited Centre for English Language Learning, is available both before and throughout the course if you need it.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Visual Enquiry
- Textile Design Rotation
- Textile Contexts
- Design Cultures
- Technical Block
- Live Project
- Textile Visions
- Design Cultures 2
- Final Major Project by Practice
- Final Major Project by Dissertation
- Professional Practice
- Design Cultures 3
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
This includes lectures, demonstrations, individual and group tutorials, seminars, laboratory work, critical reviews, presentations and self-directed studio practice.
2021/22 tuition fees
- UK students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £14,250 per year
- EU students: Check the website for more information
Our graduates go on to forge careers in a variety of areas within the global textiles industry and beyond. They work as freelancers and in industry as designers, buyers and in production, as well as hold roles in galleries, education, retail and more.
Message the school
About this institute
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) in England welcome hundreds of European students every year for one of our 300 courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. We have approx. 25,000 students studying in our 4 faculties; Business & Law; Health &...
Why study at De Montfort University
- Ranked 20th for Graduate Prospects (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
- In the top 10% of institutions overall recognised by the Times Higher Education’s Impact Rankings 2020
- TEF Gold Award in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework – the only government-endorsed measure of teaching quality in higher education.
- Campus of the Future - DMU has invested £136m in transforming its campus, creating new green space in Leicester and using renewable energy technology. Four of the largest campus buildings generate renewable energy via more than 1,110 solar panels, and a wood biomass boiler cuts out the need to burn fossil fuels.
- 2030 Climate Action - More than 100 students and staff have taken part in carbon literacy training to understand how choices like transport, clothes, overseas travel and food impact the planet. DMU and the University of Leicester have teamed up with Leicester City Council to deliver the training in city schools. DMU has halved its carbon dioxide emissions since 2005.
Want to know more about Textile Design BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!