English Language with French, Mandarin or Spanish BA (Hons)
English Language with French, Mandarin or Spanish is a stimulating, thought-provoking course designed to make you analyse and reflect on how language in general, and English in particular, functions in the world today. You will examine the origins of English and how it could evolve in an era of global change and technological innovation. You will discover how the importance and impact of language in a variety of contexts, both as a complex system for embodying ideas, emotions and beliefs, and as a means of influencing, persuading and moving others.
You will be able to develop a set of linguistic and analytical skills which will help you become a highly effective communicator. This is a course about how language shapes your world – by learning and understanding how language works, we can help the world open up to you.
As part of this joint honours course you can develop your written and spoken communication skills in two of the world's most powerful languages. English is currently the world's most widely spoken language, and you will be able to study it in combination with French (an official language in 32 countries, and with a projected growth to 750 million people worldwide by 2050), Mandarin Chinese (currently the language with the greatest number of native speakers) or Spanish (more than 470 million speakers worldwide including in Central and South American countries and the USA).
- 104 points from at least 2 A'levels
- BTEC Extended Diploma DMM
- International Baccalaureate: 24+ Points
GCSEs - Five GCSEs at grade A*-C including English Language or Literature at grade C or above or equivalent.
Access - Pass QAA Accredited AHE Diploma with at least 15 credits in Creative Writing, English Language or Literature at grade Merit and GCSE English (Language or Literature) at grade C or equivalent.
We also accept the BTEC First Diploma plus two GCSEs including English at grade C or above or equivalent.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential. English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council accredited Centre for English Language Learning.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Words in Action: An Introduction to Grammar and Linguistics
- Evolving Language: An Introduction to the Histories of Language
- Topics in Linguistics
- Foundations in English Language Teaching for International Learners
- Approaches to Reading and Writing
- Introduction to the Novel
- Exploring Creative Writing
- Modern Language 1 (Basic User of Independent User depending on entry language level)
- Grammar: Analysing linguistic structure
- Semantics: Analysing linguistic meaning
- Phonetics and Phonology
- Research Methods for Linguists
- Language in Context
- English Language in UK Schools
- Introducing English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Varieties of English Language Teaching for International Learners
- Text Technologies
- Writing Place
- Modern Language 2
- English Language Dissertation
- English Language in the Workplace (Placement Module)
- Language Acquisition
- Language, Mind and Culture
- Powerful Language: An Introduction To Rhetoric
- Perception, Persuasion, Power: Communication and Control
- Corpus Linguistics
- English Language for Specific and Professional Purposes
- Textual Studies Using Computers
- Professional Writing Skills
- Modern Language 3
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
2021/22 tuition fees
- UK students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £14,250 per year
- EU students: Check the website for more information
Our graduates have strong linguistic, reasoning and analytical skills, making them highly sought-after by many employers. As a DMU student, we develop your analysis and presentation skills to help you become an articulate, adaptable, professional communicator who can operate with ease in any professional setting and with a diverse range of people.
About this institute
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) in England welcome hundreds of European students every year for one of our 300 courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. We have approx. 25,000 students studying in our 4 faculties; Business & Law; Health &...
Want to know more about English Language with French, Mandarin or Spanish BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...