Design Innovation MADe Montfort University
About this program
Design Innovation MA
With a flexible curriculum to accommodate your creative ambitions, this course will prepare you to take a critical position and forge a successful career in the globalised creative world. The key business skills that you will gain - project management, marketing, website design, branding and business planning – make this course the ideal platform for creative entrepreneurs to launch their own design businesses and consultancies, or for those who hope to take up senior roles in design strategy or brand management. The course is designed for students with a good working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite applications, such as Photoshop, Acrobat and InDesign, and will develop these technical skills to an advanced level.
You will select a specialist area of study from diverse options, ranging from retail, museum and exhibition, and product design, to interior, footwear, visual communication, and design innovation. Learn to devise creative solutions to complex issues surrounding sustainability and explore the role of design and innovation as a driver for change.
The opportunity to work on live projects will enhance your professional portfolio, and you will complete an individual major project (either creative practice based or research focused) which runs throughout the course, drawing on the professional expertise and specialist knowledge of our academics.
Throughout the course we will empower you to experiment boldly and support you to take risks. You will be encouraged challenge conventions and develop innovative approaches to tackling contemporary design challenges, with the cutting-edge facilities for you to refine your talents and realise your creative visions.
You should have the equivalent or above of a 2:2 UK bachelor’s honours degree in a design subject relevant to your proposed specialism or major project area.
If you have other professional qualifications and industry experience, we will consider your application on an individual basis.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential. English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council accredited Centre for English Language Learning.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Term one core modules
- Research Methods
- Creative Design Studio
Term one optional modules
- Marketing for the Creative Entrepreneur
- Creative Digital Media
- Design as a Strategic Business Tool
- Design, Innovation and Sustainability
Term two core modules
- Action Research Laboratory
Term two optional modules
- Global Markets: Designing businesses for international growth
- Museum and Exhibition Design
- Design for Retail
- Business Planning for the Creative Entrepreneur
- Managing Business Web Presence
- Technology for Design
- Service Design
- Major Project: Design
- Major Project: Dissertation.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
2021/22 tuition fees
- UK/EU students: £8,350 per year
- International students: £14,600 per year
Many of our graduates go on to launch their own design businesses and consultancies, take up roles as creative designers, or progress on to senior roles in design strategy or brand management.
Recent graduates have landed successful roles such as:
- Senior Industrial Designer for Wistron Corporation, producing notebook PCs and other electronic equipment.
- Lingerie Garment Technologist for MAS Intimates, co-ordinating production for lingerie of major brands including Marks & Spencer, Victoria’s Secret, and La Senza
- Designer for London-based fashion brand Max C
- Designer and Production Supervisor at Fleur La Fleur fashion design
- Head of User Experience (web design) for Freestyle Interactive Ltd
- Creative Services Manager for Revlon
- Project Manager at Ideal Design, for interior design in Taiwan
Message the school
About this institute
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) in England welcome hundreds of European students every year for one of our 300 courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. We have approx. 25,000 students studying in our 4 faculties; Business & Law; Health &...
Why study at De Montfort University
- Ranked 20th for Graduate Prospects (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
- In the top 10% of institutions overall recognised by the Times Higher Education’s Impact Rankings 2020
- TEF Gold Award in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework – the only government-endorsed measure of teaching quality in higher education.
- Campus of the Future - DMU has invested £136m in transforming its campus, creating new green space in Leicester and using renewable energy technology. Four of the largest campus buildings generate renewable energy via more than 1,110 solar panels, and a wood biomass boiler cuts out the need to burn fossil fuels.
- 2030 Climate Action - More than 100 students and staff have taken part in carbon literacy training to understand how choices like transport, clothes, overseas travel and food impact the planet. DMU and the University of Leicester have teamed up with Leicester City Council to deliver the training in city schools. DMU has halved its carbon dioxide emissions since 2005.
De Montfort University
Want to know more about Design Innovation MA? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!