Building Surveying BSc (Hons)
Building Surveying focuses on all aspects of property and construction from supervising large mixed-use developments to planning domestic extensions; you could be involved with the conservation and restoration of historic buildings to contemporary new developments.
Our course will help you gain an understanding of the technical aspects of construction, management and measurement skills bringing together all aspects of the building process, from concept through to completion. You will learn to understand design, technical and legislative elements and sustainability to achieve the best quality and value within the project’s specifications. You are likely to be involved in a range of services, from building pathology, land and building surveying to contract management.
You will be able to advance your professional skills through an optional industry placement between years two and three. This placement year can count as part of the required experience for Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors professional status.
- Art and Design Foundation or
- 112 points from at least 2 A levels or
- BTEC Extended Diploma DMM or
- International Baccalaureate: 26+ Points
Plus five GCSEs grades 9-4 including English Language or Literature and Maths or Science at grade 4 or above.
- Pass Access QAA Accredited AHE Diploma with 30 Level 3 credits at Merit (or equivalent) and GCSE English (Language or Literature) and Maths or Science at grade 4 or above
We will normally require students to have had a break from full-time education before undertaking the Access course.
We also accept the BTEC First Diploma plus two GCSEs including English and Maths or Science at grade 4 or above.
If English is not your first language then an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component (or equivalent) is essential.
English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council accredited Centre for English Language Learning is available both before and throughout the course if you need it.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Architectural Representation 1
- Building Technology 1
- Architectural Detailing
- Sustainable Building Principles
- Building and Land Surveying
- Contracts, Law and Procurement
- Building Technology 2
- Building Surveying Practice
- Professional Practice
- Building Conservation and Measurement
- Optional Placement Year
- Contract and Law
- Building Assessment and Management
- Integrated Digital Design and new Technologies
- Integrated Design Project
- Building Information Technology and Modelling
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
You will be taught through a combination of lectures, workshops, tutorials, seminars, group work and self-directed study.
2021/22 tuition fees
- UK students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £14,250 per year
- EU students: Check the website for more information
Many of our students will work towards Chartered Membership (MRICS) status upon graduation, by gaining a further two years of practical training. While for others, the course provides a transition to postgraduate study.
Chartered Building Surveyors are involved in all aspects of property and construction from supervising large mixed-use developments to planning domestic extensions. Whichever sector they work in, building surveyors’ knowledge and understanding of construction technology and building pathology means they are ideally equipped to provide a wide range of services.
About this institute
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) in England welcome hundreds of European students every year for one of our 300 courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. We have approx. 25,000 students studying in our 4 faculties; Business & Law; Health &...
Why study at De Montfort University
- Ranked 20th for Graduate Prospects (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
- In the top 10% of institutions overall recognised by the Times Higher Education’s Impact Rankings 2020
- TEF Gold Award in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework – the only government-endorsed measure of teaching quality in higher education.
- Campus of the Future - DMU has invested £136m in transforming its campus, creating new green space in Leicester and using renewable energy technology. Four of the largest campus buildings generate renewable energy via more than 1,110 solar panels, and a wood biomass boiler cuts out the need to burn fossil fuels.
- 2030 Climate Action - More than 100 students and staff have taken part in carbon literacy training to understand how choices like transport, clothes, overseas travel and food impact the planet. DMU and the University of Leicester have teamed up with Leicester City Council to deliver the training in city schools. DMU has halved its carbon dioxide emissions since 2005.
Want to know more about Building Surveying BSc (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...