Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)De Montfort University
About this program
Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)
Biomedical science is the term for the investigations carried out on samples of tissue and body fluids to diagnose disease and monitor the treatment of patients.
A biomedical science degree is highly sought after in NHS pathology centres, forensic science laboratories, research institutions and the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. Successful graduates can benefit from entering a dynamic profession with long-term career prospects in research, specialised laboratory work, education and management.
Our course is professionally accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science, which enables our graduates to gain the necessary skills and qualifications sought by employers.
You’ll study a range of topics including anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, microbiology, immunology and more. Throughout the course, you’ll be exploring the analytical skills needed in modern biomedical science, along with research and diagnostic techniques.
A minimum of 120 UCAS points from at least two A levels. One A level must be at grade C or above in either Biology, Chemistry or Human Biology, or
- BTEC National Diploma Science - Distinction/ Distinction/ Merit, or
- BTEC Extended Diploma Science - Distinction/ Distinction/ Merit
Plus, five GSCEs at grade 4 or above, including Maths and English
Alternative qualifications include:
- Pass QAA Accredited AHE (Science) with a minimum of 21 Level 3 credits at Distinction and 24 Level 3 credits at Merit in Chemistry or Biology.English and Maths GCSE required at grade 4 (C) or above as separate qualifications
We will normally require students to have had a break from full-time education before undertaking the Access course.
- International Baccalaureate: 28+ with six higher level points in Chemistry or Biology
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Basic Microbiology for Biomedical Science
- Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Chemistry for the Biosciences
- Professional and Quantitative Skills
- Molecular Genetics and Genomics
- Biochemical Disease Mechanisms and Therapeutics
- Organ Systems Physiology
- Inflammation and Immunobiology
- Professional Skills 2
- Research and Diagnostic Techniques
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Histopathology and Cytopathology
- Clinical Immunology
- Medical Microbiology
- Haematology and Transfusion Science
- Clinical Genetics
- Research and Innovation (Project)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
2021/22 tuition fees
- UK students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £14,250 per year
- EU students: Check the website for more information
Our graduates are highly sought-after by NHS pathology centres and have gone on to work in diagnostic laboratories in both the public and private sectors, as well as research institutions and the biotechnology industry in roles such as biomedical scientist, laboratory assistant, associate practitioner and pharmacology technician.
Vivian Nwagboso landed a role as a biomedical scientist at Hull Royal Infirmary after graduating. She credits the course’s professional accreditation with helping her land a placement, which in turn contributed to her securing a full-time job.
She said: “I am very grateful to DMU for opportunities to develop so many transferable skills. It was unbelievable that I got a job even before writing my final exams.”
You can also pursue a range of postgraduate courses which offer opportunities to build your skills and enhance your knowledge, including our Advanced Biomedical Science MSc and Physician Associate Studies MSc courses.
Message the school
About this institute
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) in England welcome hundreds of European students every year for one of our 300 courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. We have approx. 25,000 students studying in our 4 faculties; Business & Law; Health &...
Why study at De Montfort University
- Ranked 20th for Graduate Prospects (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
- In the top 10% of institutions overall recognised by the Times Higher Education’s Impact Rankings 2020
- TEF Gold Award in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework – the only government-endorsed measure of teaching quality in higher education.
- Campus of the Future - DMU has invested £136m in transforming its campus, creating new green space in Leicester and using renewable energy technology. Four of the largest campus buildings generate renewable energy via more than 1,110 solar panels, and a wood biomass boiler cuts out the need to burn fossil fuels.
- 2030 Climate Action - More than 100 students and staff have taken part in carbon literacy training to understand how choices like transport, clothes, overseas travel and food impact the planet. DMU and the University of Leicester have teamed up with Leicester City Council to deliver the training in city schools. DMU has halved its carbon dioxide emissions since 2005.
De Montfort University
Want to know more about Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!