About this program
Master of Tourism Destination Development
Site visits to regional tourism destinations combined with research conducted at Dalarna University aim to give you knowledge as to how sustainable destination development is implemented in Sweden and the world. Interaction with peers and staff from some 15 nations will expand both your professional network as well as your understanding of different cultural needs and values.
You will learn about assessing global changes in the tourism industry and interpreting these changes in a local situation. You will gain the ability to critically assess the consequences of different strategies for sustainable tourism destination development. These skills and this knowledge will help you join our many graduates who now work internationally as marketing and project assistants, service centre advisors and event managers.
You should have a desire to combine your passion for sustainable tourism with a curiosity for the research and theory that drive the development of the global tourism industry towards sustainability.
Specific entry requirements
Completed bachelor's degree majoring in Human Geography, Business Administration and Management, Tourism Studies, Economics or an equivalent degree or currently completing the final year of studies leading to such a degree.
English language proficiency
The most common and important scores that are accepted are
- IELTS (academic training), 6.5 (with no part of the test below 5.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): 90 (with a minimum of 20 on the written part)
- TOEFL (paper-based): 575 (with a minimum of 4.5 on the written part)
- English language proficiency in detail
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
In the first semester, you will study the four main modules of the program. Each of these modules contributes to an aspect of tourism destination development.
- Sustainable Destination Development
- Event Tourism - Planning, Marketing, Evaluation
- Managing and Interpreting Natural and Cultural Heritage Sites
- Place and Destination Marketing
You will also visit businesses, cultural heritage managers and event organizations as well as regional tourism destinations.
In the second semester, you will learn about research methods and you will complete a research project that focuses on an aspect of destination development at an international or local tourism destination.
- Theory and Research Methods
- Degree Thesis in Tourism
Guest lectures and seminars headed by representatives from the regional tourism branch and from international partner universities as well as alumni are regularly held so that current students can learn more about international research in tourism, the employment market as well connect with former students to talk about opportunities.
Scholarships & funding
There are a number of scholarships available for successful applicants to the Tourism Destination Development Program who are not EU/EEA citizens.
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- First Tuition Fee Installment: 43 500 SEK
- Total Tuition Fee: 87 000 SEK
EU/EEA Citizens or exchange students are not required to pay tuition fees.
Tuition fees are paid in two installments of 43 500 SEK and the first payment must be paid no later than June 1st. This allows for reasonable processing time for a residence permit application.
Upon completion of this program, you will receive a Master of Science in Tourism Studies. You can use this degree to apply for PhD studies in Sweden.
Following a successful completion of this tourism program students shall have attained:
- An extended knowledge of theory development and the research frontier in tourism and especially in destination development.
- The ability to assess global changes and interpret these in a local situation and understanding of how destinations and businesses are linked and interplay with processes at different levels of scale.
- The ability to critically assess the prerequisites and consequences of different strategies for sustainable tourism destination development
- The ability to critically observe social processes and issues and be able to discuss both in written and oral form these in a tourism studies perspective.
- The capacity to formulate questions which are founded both in theory and method.
- The capacity to collect, handle and analyse empirical data. This also entail the presentation of a thesis in which relevant concepts and theories are elaborated.
Upon completion of the program, you may apply for a PhD position within Tourism Studies or similar fields at any Swedish university. You may also apply for a full Bologna Master Degree at some of our partner universities in Europe.
Tourism is a major growth industry internationally, and there is an urgent need for knowledge on how to develop destinations in a sustainable manner. The courses in the TDD Program prepare you to work within the tourism and marketing fields, and can lead to countless job opportunities, including positions as:
- Junior Online Marketer
- Tourism Officer
- Destination Development Consultant
- Operations Manager
You will most likely find work in destination-marketing organisations, at hotels, in activity companies, and within local and regional tourism-planning organisations throughout the world.
About this institute
Dalarna University is a small, modern university located in the beautiful province of Dalarna in central Sweden. The provincial landscape offers wonderful opportunities for exploration in stunning natural surroundings. The university has two campuses in small towns Falun and Borlänge....
Why study at Dalarna University
A close-knit environment: Small class sizes ensure closeness in terms of contact with fellow students and teachers. Small towns mean close proximity from the campus to outdoor activities, cafés, shopping, and student housing.
Links to research and business: Take courses and programmes based on research gained through strong ties with regional business and industry.
Be the first to write a review!