Master of Global Sexual and Reproductive Health
Equal access to sexual and reproductive health care contributes to positive economic, health and educational outcomes for children and their parents, while shaping future economic development and environmental sustainability.
This program will provide you with a global perspective on the state of people’s sexual and reproductive health, and will enhance your ability to implement evidence-based strategies that will serve to improve the quality of health care.
Two recurring themes in the program are the promotion of gender equality and the implementation of strategies for evidence-based practice. With knowledge and skills in these areas, you will be equipped to help improve public health in middle and low-income countries.
You should apply to this program if you have a desire to combine your passion for sustainable development with a curiosity for research, the aim of which is to promote equal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Specific entry requirements
- Completed Bachelor's degree equal to a Swedish degree of 180 credits majoring in Health Sciences, Social Sciences, Economics or an equivalent degree -- or you are currently completing the final year of your studies leading to such a degree.
- A CV and an approved statement of purpose.
- Documented English language proficiency equivalent to English B/English 6 at Swedish upper secondary school (more information below).
English language proficiency
The most common tests and important scores that are accepted are:
- IELTS (academic training): 6.5 (with no part of the test below 5.5)
- TOEFL (Internet based): 90 (with a minimum of 20 on the written part)
- TOEFL (paper based): 575 (with a minimum of 4.5 on the written part)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
In the first semester, you will gain an overview of the field of sexual and reproductive health from a global perspective and, in parallel, deepen your knowledge in related research methodology and implementation of evidence within the field.
You will take these courses:
- Global Sexual Reproductive Health (15 credits)
- Evidence-Based Sexual Reproductive Health and Research Methodology (7.5 credits)
- Implementing Strategies for Quality Improvements in Health Care Settings (7.5 credits)
In the second semester, you will have time to focus on and deepen your knowledge about health systems research, leadership and management while having the opportunity to commence your field work for the thesis. During the second part of the second semester, you will focus entirely on the thesis. This will include in-depth studies within a chosen subject area, analysis and interpretation, report writing and a presentation. The work will conclude with the defence of your thesis at a seminar.
- Healthcare System Research in Low-Resource Settings (7.5 credits)
- Leadership and Management within Healthcare Systems (7.5 credits)
- Thesis: Global Sexual and Reproductive Health (15 credits)
Blended learning, the combination of web-based teaching and campus teaching, is used for this program, which also features guest lecturers and seminars headed by representatives from regional and international partner organisations.
- First Tuition Fee Installment: 70 500 SEK
- Total Tuition Fee: 141 000 SEK
EU/EEA Citizens or exchange students are not required to pay tuition fees.
Tuition fees are paid in two installments of 70 500 SEK, and the first payment must be paid no later than June 1st. This allows for reasonable processing time for a residence permit application.
Scholarships & funding
There are a number of scholarships available for successful applicants to the Global Sexual and Reproductive Health Program who are not EU/EEA citizens.
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Upon completion of this program, you will receive a Master of Science in Sexual, Reproductive and Perinatal Health (60 credits). You can use this degree to apply for PhD studies in Sweden.
Upon completion of the program, the student shall be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of global sexual and reproductive health based on a number of disciplinary perspectives, including a gender-equity perspective, theories and methods,
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of social and cultural aspects in relation to global sexual and reproductive health, and in such a way integrate aspects of global sustainability development and human rights,
- demonstrate an ability to use research and subject knowledge in the design of field work, the purpose of which is to develop and implement evidence-based interventions in different settings and contexts,
- demonstrate an ability to independently search for and critically review scientific publications, and to review information with a critical review of sources,
- demonstrate advanced knowledge both of research methods used to collect evidence-based information and of the knowledge transfer of evidence-based information into health policies and interventions in clinical practice,
- demonstrate awareness of the significance of leadership in the pursuit of improved sexual, reproductive health and rights, and sustainable development that will ensure a sound and healthy environment, economic and social welfare, and justice for present and future generations.
The knowledge and experiences that you will gain from your fellow students, along with the opportunity to learn from the international research projects that our faculty are working with, will provide you with a sound basis to proceed into the workforce, finding the ideal job within your chosen field.
Upon successful graduation, you will be well prepared for a wide range of employment opportunities and a variety of advanced positions within home ministries, international NGOs and educational institutions.
Examples of positions are health program manager; humanitarian coordinator; civil society program manager; research and advocacy officer; and donor agency health advisor.
You can also apply for a PhD position within Dalarna University's research field entitled Health and Welfare with a Focus on Evidence-Based Practice, or similar fields at any Swedish university.
About this institute
Dalarna University is a small, modern university located in the beautiful province of Dalarna in central Sweden. The provincial landscape offers wonderful opportunities for exploration in stunning natural surroundings. The university has two campuses in small towns Falun and Borlänge....
Why study at Dalarna University
Sweden ranked #3 study abroad country
Sweden has been ranked the #3 study abroad country in Europe for 2020! With a high English language proficiency and the headquarters of companies like H&M and Spotify, Sweden was also ranked #1 in Europe for students who want to achieve their career goals.
Want to know more about Master of Global Sexual and Reproductive Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic
Summer / Short course
Berkeley, United States of America
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain