Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
The Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours) will qualify you to work as a medical laboratory scientist. You will gain theoretical and technical knowledge in the clinical disciplines of laboratory medicine for application in the diagnostic setting. Throughout your study you will build technical and evaluative skills to assess and implement recommendations for best practice in patient testing, monitoring and education. This course will enable you to develop an advanced level of communication skill to interact positively with patients and other health professionals ready for the clinical or scientific work environment. Clinical decision-making and problem-solving abilities are key skills for the medical laboratory scientist. You will develop these skills through opportunities in professional practice, case-based studies and research projects. This course is accredited by the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists and you are able to apply for professional membership upon completion.
AQF Level: Level 8 Bachelor Honours Degree
If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.
Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion within the last 5 years or:
- a secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA of 4.0
- completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United states of America, which will meet the English proficiency.
English (4, SA), Maths B (4, SA), Chemistry, Biology, Science
- Rank Threshold: OP 14 | SR 70 | ATAR 67.95
- Rank Cut-Off: OP 14 | SR 70 | ATAR 67.95
For more information about admission, security and health requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Year 1 - Term 1
- Introduction to Medical Sciences
- Human Body Systems 1
- Atoms, Molecules and Matter
- Study and Research Skills for Health Science
Year 1 - Term 2
- Human Body Systems 2
- Food, Nutrition and Health
- Measurement and Evaluation in Health Science
- Foundations of Biochemistry
Year 2 - Term 1
- Molecular Biology
- Work Integrated Learning
- Haematology and Transfusion Science
Year 2 - Term 2
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Histological and Cytological Techniques
- Medical Microbiology 1
- Applied Molecular and Cellular Pathology
Year 3 - Term 1
- Advanced Histopathology and Cytopathology
- Advanced Clinical Biochemistry
Year 3 - Term 2
- Advanced Transfusion Science
- Medical Microbiology 2
- Advanced Work Integrated Learning
- Advanced Haematology
Year 4 - Term 1
- Medical Science Research 1
- Preparation for Professional Practice in Medical Laboratory Science
- Integrated Pathology 1
Year 4 - Term 2
- Medical Science Research 2
- Specialised Work Integrated Learning
- Integrated Pathology 2
Scholarships & funding
The university offers a range of scholarships to support international students and encourages you to apply for one that's right for you. For more information about the scholarships, please visit the university website.
This program costs 16 380 AUD per term.
CG93 - Bachelor of Medical Science CB25 - Associate Degree of Medical Science
CG93 - Bachelor of Medical Science CB25 - Associate Degree of Medical Science CL13 - Diploma of Health Science
Core learning outcomes:
- Practice competently as a medical laboratory scientist
- Apply a broad and coherent body of medical (laboratory) science knowledge to professional practice
- Behave professionally, using knowledge of quality management, legislation and personal skills, to ensure safe practice as a medical laboratory scientist
- Perform medical laboratory science-based research and report the outcomes.
Completion of the Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences (Honours) will prepare you to pursue employment opportunities as a Medical Laboratory Scientist. A Medical Laboratory Scientist is a health professional who conducts medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
About this institute
CQUniversity Australia has become one of the fastest growing universities in Australia, providing endless study and research options for students and researchers alike to excel in their fields of interest. Our commitment to learning and teaching, ground-breaking research, social innovation...
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
St Andrews, Scotland