Journalism BA (Hons)Coventry University
Journalism BA (Hons)
All available course dates
Journalism BA (Hons)
Digital, mobile and social media have transformed the Journalism business. This professionally-accredited course is primarily focused on your employability and aims to provide you with skills and techniques necessary to make your mark in any area of the journalism and communications industry.
Our Journalism, Publishing and PR courses are ranked 2nd in the United Kingdom by the Guardian University Guide 2021 and will help you become ambitious, informed and versatile media professionals ready to succeed in newsroom, platform or media organisations.
A-Level applicants are required to have three A2 Levels. Coventry University may include AS grades within an offer for certain courses, but we are not able to accept two AS Levels in place of one A2 Level. In some courses it may be necessary for entrants to have passed specific A2 Levels in nominated subjects. Please see the course pages for more information.
A pass in the Access Diploma, plus GCSE English Language at grade A*-C, or a specified equivalent.
Coventry University welcomes applicants who have completed, or who are studying, the Access to HE Diploma developed by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA). Successful completion of the course will require you to gain 60 credits with at least 45 to be achieved at Level 3 (with the remainder at Level 2). In some cases we will require you to have gained Merit or Distinction grades in a number of units or in nominated subjects. For more information on the entry requirements for your chosen course please see the relevant course pages.
BTEC Level 3 Diplomas
The University will accept the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma for entry to most courses. In some cases we will require applicants to have studied either certain named modules or a specific named Diploma. The appropriate course page will have full information on the entry requirements. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry to degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that provide a total volume of study that is equivalent to three A2 Levels. For example, you could be studying a BTEC Level 3 Diploma plus an A2 Level, or a BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma plus two A2 Levels. Where a specific A2 or BTEC subject is required for entry then you must be offering this as part of your combination of qualifications.
English language requirements
- IELTS: 7.5 overall
- If you don't meet the English language requirements, you can achieve the level you need by successfully completing a pre-sessional English programme before you start your course.
For more information about admission requirements, please contact the provider.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Journalism Production and Storytelling 1 and 2
- Journalism in Context
- Media Law in Practice
- Journalism and Society
- Journalism Production and Storytelling 3
- Journalism in Practice
- Law and Ethics for Journalists
- Experimental Journalism Production and Storytelling 4
- Optional modules (1 from the following):
- Magazine Journalism
- Public Relations and Social Media
- Sports Journalism
- Study Abroad
- Professional Placement
- Planning your Project
- Journalism Production and Storytelling 5
- Final project or Dissertation
- Optional modules (1 of the following):
- Entertainment and Lifestyle Journalism
- Investigative Journalism and Political Reporting
- Longform Journalism
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years full-time with study abroad / professional placement
- UK students : £9,250 per year.
- International students : £17,700 per year.
On successful completion of this course, you will know how to:
- Make great journalism, whether that’s for digital, broadcast, print or social media.
- Understand how global journalism works and how it impacts society.
- Feel prepared when applying for potential future job roles within the media industry and you should have improved networks in order to do so.
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Apply a breadth of journalism and communication skills and knowledge to professional situations.
- Work creatively, sustainably and independently within professional situations, employing a range of journalism strategies and techniques.
- Critically evaluate and analyse the broad range of factors that impinge upon professional and creative activities within journalism and the broader communications industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage with diverse communities across a range of media platforms.
- Identify and evaluate developing/emerging forms of journalism and communication.
Course specific aims are to:
- develop in students an ethos of being professionally informed practitioners – having critical and creative journalism skills for an evolving media landscape, together with independence, flexibility, sensitivity to audience, and self-reflexiveness, across both individual and group work, critical/analytical work and practical work;
- instil in students a flexible and professional standard of working knowledge of the legal, ethical and regulatory frameworks which affect journalism and related professions, and an understanding of the role of media in society – locally and globally;
- develop a critical and analytical understanding of current trends and key issues within the field of journalism and the broader media environment;
- enhance students’ awareness of technologies, platforms, modes of distribution, and consumption which extend their capabilities to establish a sustainable practice as journalists or in the broader media and communications industries.
In the process of exploring journalism and communication skills you will have the opportunity to develop throughout the course and this will prepare you for a wide range of potential future careers in other areas, such as PR, social media content and marketing, politics, commercial business and publishing.
About this institute
Coventry University is a forward-looking, modern university with a proud tradition as a high-quality education provider and a focus on applied research. The students of Coventry University's students benefit from state-of-the-art equipment and facilities in all academic disciplines including health,...
Want to know more about the programs offered by Coventry University? Please send your questions directly to the dedicated student agency, OK Student and they'll get back to you promptly.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...