Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng (Hons)
This degree provides strong technical expertise in electronics, power engineering, signal processing, control systems and engineering management.
It provides a solid foundation for anyone who wants to pursue a career at the cutting edge of technology, developing innovative solutions in areas like communications and robotics.
We have been educating electrical and electronic engineers for almost 90 years.
Our degrees are dual-accredited by professional bodies, meaning your qualification will be recognised for its quality and relevance. Furthermore, you will:
- Learn from research-active academics working at the cutting-edge of their field
- Develop highly relevant, in-demand skills thanks to industry involvement in our curriculum
- Put your in-depth engineering knowledge into practice and apply your expertise to real-world problems with design projects at every stage of your studies
- Gain hands-on experience with high-tech equipment in newly refurbished undergraduate and research labs, including chip production facilities and electrical power equipment
- Take an optional work placement to boost your grades, employability and professional expertise
- Pass your second year and apply to transfer to our integrated MEng degree, which fast tracks your progress to Chartered Engineer status.
- A-level: BBB
- Tariff: 120 UCAS tariff points
- International Baccalaureate: 30 points with 6 or better in each Higher Level subject
- BTEC: D*DD in Engineering RQF (otherwise with a grade B in A-level Mathematics)
- GCSE: A minimum of grade 4 (C) in GCSE English Language and Mathematics in addition to other outlined requirements.
Typically the only scenario where we make conditional offers expressed as UCAS tariff points is when an applicant presents mixed qualifications, most typically a combination of A-levels and a BTEC qualification.
In this instance, we may make a tariff point offer to present the applicant with more flexibility on equivalencies. In this case, please be aware that we may still ask for a specific score across certain qualifications and subjects. E.g. 'This offer is conditional on you achieving 128 tariff points. This must include A-level Mathematics at grade B.'
We do not accept General Studies and Critical Thinking. These subjects will not be included in any conditional offer we make.
Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
We welcome applications from students who are completing relevant EPQ Projects. Whilst we recognise the value of these projects in preparing students for independent learning at university, the EPQ is unlikely to form part of any conditional offer we make.
The EPQ will also not lower the specifics of any conditional offer we choose to make. We will consider the EPQ as part of the holistic assessment of the application and it could be used to form part of our final decision at Confirmation stage.
Secondary school diploma. The exact requirements from the above qualification differ between courses. Please contact Admissions to confirm the requirements for your course of interest.
International Students may need to apply for a visa or entry clearance to come to the UK to study. The way that you apply may vary depending on the length of your course. There are different rules for:
- EEA nationals joining the programme in 2021 and EEA nationals joining from January 2022
- Students on courses of more than six months
- Students on courses of less than six months
- Students on a pre-sessional English language course.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, we will require evidence of English language proficiency. Minimum requirements are:
- IELTS: 6.0 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in each component
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Mathematics I
- Engineering Science
- Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics I
- Solid Mechanics
- Design I
- Personal & Professional Development
- Mathematics II
- Computer Science and Programming
- Electromagnetic Fields and Circuits
- Measurement and Data
- Design II: Electrical and Electronic/ Biomedical
- Signal Processing
- Systems Modelling and Control
- Power Engineering
- Design III: Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Engineering Management
- BEng Individual Project
BEng students are strongly encouraged to take a 12-month industrial placement between the end of year two and start of their final year.
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years with placement year
Fees for year 2021/22
- UK: £9,250
- Overseas/EU: £19,380
The fees indicated are for undergraduate entry in the 2021/ 22 academic year only. Fees for future years may be subject to an inflationary increase, which is normally 2%.
The integrated MEng degree offers the most direct route to achieving Chartered Engineer professional registration. Our degrees are accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the Institute of Measurement and Control.
Professional accreditation and industry involvement in our degree programme mean that our graduates are equipped with the skills that the profession demands.
Electrical and electronic engineers design, develop and maintain electrical control systems and components, in sectors such as:
- power generation
About this institute
City, University of London
Day in, day out, year in and year out, City transforms the lives of around 20,000 students, creates new knowledge, supports business and the professions, and contributes to the global good of society. Third in London for Student Satisfaction First...
City, University of London
Want to know more about the programs offered by City, University of London? Please send your questions directly to the dedicated student agency, OK Student and they'll get back to you promptly.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America
Potsdam, United States of America
Chicago, United States of America