Healthcare Environmental Services Management
Centennial College's Healthcare Environmental Services Management program was designed to meet the demand for qualified environmental services managers with the ability to develop systems and processes to protect workers, clients and patients from environmental hazards present in the health care setting and operate buildings that are safe.
Today's health care environment is changing, and there is an increased need for infection control measures, outbreak or pandemic planning, isolation cleaning levels, emergency preparedness and response in the health care setting. In the courses of this college health diploma program, you learn to develop, implement and monitor operating systems and preventative maintenance in the housekeeping, laundry, maintenance and transportation areas within the environmental department of a health care facility. You'll also learn about the emergence of new technologies to fight antibiotic-resistant "superbugs" and to help support disease control of bacteria and viruses.
The curriculum includes concepts of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), as well as going "green" for a healthier environment and to reduce pollution and our carbon footprint. You also research the use of effective eco-friendly products with lower volatile organic compounds.
During your time in this healthcare program, you are informed of the wide range of environmental issues health care facilities are encountering as they work to comply with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC), Health Canada, Occupational Health and Safety, Provincial Infectious Diseases Advisory Committee (PIDAC) and other regulatory requirements.
To help you to acquire the necessary skills, the Healthcare Environmental Services Management program exposes you to the industry's best practices and continuous quality improvements to coordinate and monitor building, sanitation, maintenance and operating systems. Through this School of Community and Health Studies program, you combine health care environmental service knowledge with business and human relations, critical thinking, and problem solving skills. This combination prepares you to work with a diverse team in this challenging field.
Centennial College HESM Graduates/Students have the option to apply for an Ontario Healthcare Housekeepers' Association (OHHA) membership.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature status (19 years or older)
- English Grade 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take the Centennial College English Skills Assessment for Admission
- Mathematics Grade 11 M or U, or 12 C or U or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take a Centennial College Math Skills Assessment for Admission
Field Placement Requirements
After admission but prior to each program field placement students require:
- Annual clear police check with vulnerable screening
- Successful completion and annual renewal of a recognized course in CPR (Health Care Provider level)
- Successful completion of a recognized course in standard first aid
- Mask fit testing will be provided by Centennial College (shaving of portion of face may be required to meet safety standards)
- Completion of your pre-clearance health form by a physician or nurse practitioner stating that you meet the health requirements of legislated acts, ministry guidelines and agency policies
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
For more information about fees and tuition, please complete an information request form.
About this institute
Welcome to Centennial College
Centennial College is Ontario’s first public college with five campuses in Toronto, Canada. Centennial offers high quality Canadian Education that is hands on and employment focused. Programs at Centennial promote experiential learning with laboratory instruction, co-op education and industry placements. Centennial...
Want to know more about Healthcare Environmental Services Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate
Graduate diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Indianapolis, United States of America
Potsdam, United States of America