Lightweight EngineeringCarinthia University of Applied Sciences
The master's degree in Lightweight Engineering deepens the technical understanding of the function of machines and systems and underlines the central role of lightweight construction as a motor for all branches of modern mechanical engineering. The course thus enables career paths in vehicle technology, aerospace technology, energy technology, architecture, medical technology or plant engineering and maintenance.
In all of these future-oriented areas there is a great need for highly trained experts. Students receive the necessary knowledge for this in practice-oriented courses that deal with the drafting, design and implementation of complete, complex systems. A wide variety of modern manufacturing technologies are discussed, including 3D printing.
From the idea to the prototype, you can follow your own designs and implement them in the Smart Lab. After successfully completing “Lightweight Engineering”, you have a wide range of career opportunities.
• completion of a Bachelor of arts/science degree that corresponds to the respective Master's degree program
• completion of an equivalent degree program at a recognized Austrian or an international post-secondary institution of higher education
• German skills Level B2 CEFR
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Bionic Design
- Introduction to Partial Differential Equations
- Higher Strenght Theory
- Continuum Mechanics 1
- Lightweight Steels
- Light Metals
- Methods of Material Selection
- Simulation of Transient Systems
- Transient Measuring Systems
- Language Skills 1
- Fracture Mechanics & Fatigue Strenght 1
- Composite Materials
- Manufacturing Technologies for Composite Materials
- Surface Structures
- Generative Design
- Constructing with Composite Materials
- Continuum Mechanics 2
- Physics and simulation of mass and Heat Transport
- Simulation of Coupled Systems
- Simulation of Lightweight Structures
- Language Skills 2
- 3d Printing Technologies: Material and Construction
- Fracture Mechanics & Fatigue Strenght 2
- Computational Fluid dynamics
- Joining Technology for Lightweight Structures
- Corrosion and Corrosion Protection of Metallic Materials
- Lightweight Construction
- Physics of Vibrations
- Test Bench & Functional Model Construction
- Simulation of Structural Vibrations
- Forming Simulation
- Thermal Management in Construction
- Master Thesis
- Master thesis - Seminar
- Master's Examination
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. For more information, please check the Austrian online database for scholarships at grant.at.
Price per semester is EUR 363.36 plus Austrian Student Union Fee around EUR 20 (annual adjustment).
Degree awarded: Master of Science in Engineering
After successfully completing their studies, graduates have the following skills and knowledge:
- They know the properties of lightweight steels and light metals, of polymer materials and composite materials, and know how they are manufactured and processed.
- They know about mathematical, physical, strength-theoretical and constructive methods for the calculation and design of lightweight components.
- You can design components and joints even with dynamic or vibrating loads and also taking corrosive effects into account.
- You are very familiar with the finite elements method for different fields of application, bionic and generative design, topology optimization and can use 3D printing technology in a targeted manner.
- They check systems for errors, maintain them and optimize them.
- You analyze and simulate highly dynamic, unsteady processes.
With the master’s degree in Lightweight Engineering, the Carinthia University of Applied Sciences offers a unique course in Austria that trains students in the future-oriented topic of lightweight construction. Current surveys in the mechanical engineering industry have shown that there is already a shortage of mechanical engineers with knowledge of lightweight construction and that the need for lightweight engineers will continue to increase throughout Austria and internationally in the future.
The fields of activity of Lightweight Engineering graduates include:
- Construction and simulation
- Trial and testing activities
- Research and development activities
- Management and leadership roles
About this institute
Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
Since its foundation in 1995, CUAS has made history. Back then we started with 2 programs and about 70 students; currently we offer 37 study programs that educate almost 2000 full- and part-time students. About the same number of CUAS...
Why study at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
8 reasons to study at the FH Carinthia
1. Face to Face
We are known for our open and familiar atmosphere. At our university, great value is placed on personal interaction between students, staff and professors. Small working groups allow for individual attention.
We are a university with an international orientation. The Carinthian University of Applied Sciences cooperates with more than 160 universities worldwide. Open to the world without borders, located at the intersection of three cultures in the Alps-Adriatic region very close to Italy and Slovenia, we offer both local and international students excellent conditions for multilingual studies.
3. Practical orientation
The combination of study and practice ensures the quality of teaching and research. This is ensured by our many international guest and part-time lecturers from industry and business. Cooperations with regional and foreign companies not only ensure a practice-oriented study program, but also guarantee scientific know-how.
4. Future orientation and sustainability
Innovative study programs with their finger on the pulse of the times make UAS Carinthia a showcase location for sustainable research and development. Future-oriented topics in all fields of study play an important role.
5 Unique nature, culture and lifestyle
Studying in Carinthia is fun! Nestled in idyllic mountains, valleys and lakes, there is a huge selection of sports and recreational opportunities in every season. The picturesque Carinthian landscape provides a unique quality of life around your studies.
6 Creative, young and dynamic atmosphere
In addition to studying, young, dynamic networks deliver perfect opportunities to gain a foothold in the start-up sector. Think labs, incubators, attractive innovation workshops and many events bring together UAS Carinthia students and entrepreneurs from the region and allow them to get to know each other early on for joint future projects.
7. The combination makes it
Where and, above all, what you want to study needs to be well thought out. The Carinthian University of Applied Sciences makes the choice easy: Here you will find a unique combination of a wide range of exciting and practice-oriented studies and a quality of life that is second to none.
8. Part-time studies
Part-time further education is the key to personal career planning. For students at Carinthia UAS, the curriculum is organized in such a way that studies and job can be reconciled.
Want to know more about Lightweight Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Liberec, Czech Republic
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Liberec, Czech Republic
Be'er Sheva, Israel