Social Work (Postgraduate Entry)
This is a two-year full-time program leading to an MA and a professional qualification in social work.
Situated within the broader environment of social sciences, this program provides a theoretical and critical approach to the acquisition and appreciation of knowledge about social work practice and its context. Principles of human rights are core.
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the academic year. The final modules will be published by September.
Essential criteria for this program includes:
1. Level 2 (or higher) in maths/application of number skills (e.g. GCSE grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent)
2. Level 2 (or higher) in English and/or Welsh language or Communication (e.g. GCSE grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent). Where relevant, international applicants whose first language is not English are also required to obtain a minimum overall IELTS score of 7.0 with at least 6.5 in all sub-sections. An equivalency in another English Language qualification may be accepted. Applicants who require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK must present an acceptable English language qualification in order to meet UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements.
3. An undergraduate degree at 2:2 (or higher). Please note, candidates without a degree but who have three or more years' relevant experience (preferably within the last five years) and can demonstrate their ability to study at final year undergraduate level (i.e. level 6) may be considered. In these instances, applicants will be asked to undertake a written task to validate their suitability for study at this level.
4. Practice experience – you must have minimum of 455 hours of practice experience in a social care setting at the time of application. This is the roughly equivalent of three to four-months full-time work. Relevant experience can come from either voluntary or paid role. In occasional and exceptional circumstances personal experience(s) might also be considered. Experience should preferably be from within the last five years. The experience should enable you to demonstrate an understanding of social work/care in the context of the United Kingdom (UK), and more specifically Wales.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Tuition fees for UK and EU students: £7,700
- Tuition fees for Students from outside the EU: £17,450
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
The MA in Social Work is a two year full-time program, leading to a master’s degree and a professional qualification in social work. It will enable you to build upon your existing academic and occupational experience to achieve a professional qualification in social work, with the range of skills that entails. These all meet the National Occupational Standards in Social Work.
Your professional development will be strengthened through strong tutorial support, a research-led teaching environment and access to a range of placement opportunities in specialist fields.
On successful completion of the course you qualify as a social worker and will be able to assume the title of Registered Social Worker. This enables you to become employed in a range of social work settings. We have a high employment rate for our students.
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Social Work (Postgraduate Entry)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...