About this program
Social Work (Postgraduate Entry)
The MA Social Work is a two-year full-time programme that will give you everything you need to achieve a professional qualification in social work. You will benefit from strong tutorial support, teaching informed by research and practice, and access to a range of placement opportunities in specialist fields.
On successful completion of the programme, you will be able to assume the title of Registered Social Worker.
You’ll be taught by staff who have both practice and research experience in a wide range of fields and will undertake three placements throughout the programme, with a total of 100 days spent on placement during each year.
Situated within the broader environment of social sciences, this programme provides a theoretical and critical approach to the acquisition and appreciation of knowledge about social work practice and its context. Principles of human rights are core.
Typically, you will need to have either:
- a 2:2 honours degree in any subject, or an equivalent international degree
- a university-recognised equivalent academic qualification
- or three or more years' relevant experience (preferably within the last five years) and a demonstrable ability to study at final year undergraduate level (Level 6). In these instances, applicants will be asked to undertake a written task to validate their suitability for study at this level.
English language requirements
IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with 5.5 in all subskills, or an accepted equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
- Social Work with Adults (Level 1)
- Social Work with Children, Youth and Families (Level 1)
- Introduction to Social Work Theory and Practice 1 (Level 1)
- Social Science Perspectives One/Two (Level 1)
- Level One Practice Learning Portfolio
- Law (Level 2)
- Social Science Perspectives One/Two (Level 2)
- Social Work with Adults (Level 2)
- Introduction to Social Work Theory and Practice 2 (Level 2)
- Social Work with Children, Youth and Families (Level 2)
- Level Two Practice Learning Portfolio
- Understanding Evidence for Social Work Practice
- Understanding Evidence for Social Work Practice (Part 2)
- Working with Individuals, Families, Groups and Communities (Level 3)
- Law (Level 3)
- Working in and Across Organisations (Level 3)
- Poster Presentation Event (Level 3)
- Level Three Practice Learning Portfolio
- Social Work Practice
- Dissertation: Social Work
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fees for UK Students:£8,200 per year
- Tuition fees for International Students:£18,700 per year
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
The MA in Social Work is a two year full-time program, leading to a master’s degree and a professional qualification in social work. It will enable you to build upon your existing academic and occupational experience to achieve a professional qualification in social work, with the range of skills that entails. These all meet the National Occupational Standards in Social Work.
Your professional development will be strengthened through strong tutorial support, a research-led teaching environment and access to a range of placement opportunities in specialist fields.
On successful completion of the course you qualify as a social worker and will be able to assume the title of Registered Social Worker. This enables you to become employed in a range of social work settings. We have a high employment rate for our students.
Message the school
About this institute
Cardiff University is among the top 25 universities in the UK and is ranked 166th in the world. Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK....
Want to know more about Social Work (Postgraduate Entry)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!